Monday, September 17, 2007

My testimony

Joseph made a request of me last night. He is the committee chair for a graduate student from the University of Michigan. Her name is Ji. Without knowing it, she has been an example of gratitude to me as she sends these beautiful gifts from China home with Joseph as thanks for the work he does for her. Recently Joseph told me that she is taking the missionary discussions (for those who are not members of my church, when a person invites the missionaries from my church to teach them, there are six “discussions” or six lessons that they come and teach). She had e-mailed Joseph a bit ago and asked him to share how he gained his testimony that the gospel is true. More specifically, since she is investigating my church, how he gained his testimony that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church. Joseph asked me last night if I was willing to share with Ji as well.

The thing that came to mind for me is just a portion of how I gained testimony of the gospel, but I felt it well worth sharing. Just a side note before I begin that story. I have three friends (Sue, Angie, Marie) from around the Ann Arbor, Michigan area from whom I have gained so much. It has been in conversations with them and in their presence that I have learned so much about God’s love and I wanted to thank them for that! It is God’s love that sustains me from day to day.

When we first moved to Michigan, we lived in MSU’s student married housing. Living a few apartments down from us there was a newly married couple, with whom we became friends. They are Christians and were an excellent example to us of so many principles of the gospel. They had given a lot of themselves to God and it definitely showed in their lives. We had many discussions as we were curious about their particular beliefs and they were curious about ours.

At one point, in deep discussion with Karen, we talked about having a week where we fasted and prayed and read the word of God. I can’t remember the particular question, but for me it was an intense time of learning and growing and discovering my own faith. I remember looking at a lot of scriptures about baptism (because I believe that it is a requirement, not to be saved, but to live with my Father and Heaven and his beloved Son once my time on earth is done. In my church this is referred to as the Celestial Kingdom). At that time, I tried to lay aside my preconceived ideas about the gospel and learn anew. I asked Heavenly Father for his Spirit to be with me and for his guidance through this process.

I had never spent a lot of time reading Paul’s writings and thanks to this challenge, I did and I learned so much! I have such fond memories of that time when I was dedicated in prayer and learning. I also read daily from the Book of Mormon as I had been doing previously.

After about a week, I came to a point where I had read many or most of the scriptures I could find about baptism and prepared myself to ask in prayer what the truth about baptism was. One of the things I did before this prayer was to get out my Book of Mormon to do my daily reading there. As I began to read, I was amazed to have my unasked prayer answered before my eyes as I read 2 Nephi 31. The whole chapter is dedicated to the topic of baptism. I will quote the parts that have special significance for me. It is even more poignant since my daughter May recently made the decision to be baptized.

5 And now, if the Lamb of God, he being holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfill all righteousness, O then, how much more need have we, being unholy, to be baptized, yea, even by water!

6 And now, I would ask of you, my beloved brethren, wherein the Lamb of God did fulfil all righteousness in being baptized by water?

7 Know ye not that he was holy? But notwithstanding he being holy, he showeth unto the children of men that, according to the flesh he humbleth himself before the Father, and witnesseth unto the Father that he would be obedient unto him in keeping his commandments.

8 Wherefore, after he was baptized with water the Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove.

9 And again, it showeth unto the children of men the straitness of the path, and the narrowness of the gate, by which they should enter, he having set the example before them.

10 And he said unto the children of men: Follow thou me. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father?

13 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel.

19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.

I began praying after my reading and though I don’t remember what I prayed, I clearly remember the answer from a loving Heavenly Father who impressed upon my mind, “Do you think it was an accident that you read that chapter today? It was not by chance that you were given those words.” And so there it was. He had told me what he wanted me to know about baptism in such a simple way. Even to this day I’m amazed because what a coincidence it would be to be reading that very chapter on that very day. It was not coincidence though, and that means that God had been working in my life for a long, long time knowing that I would be asking that question on that very day. He still works in my life each day, even on the days when I don’t put Him first, he is still working on me!

It also led me to ponder how important reading the Book of Mormon is in my life I have since that time (and even before that time) had many wonderful experiences of receiving answers to prayer while reading there. It is truly, as is the Bible, a witness of Jesus Christ. I also thought about the prophet Joseph Smith who translated the book and I gained a greater testimony of his work and vision. I understood better the authority that has been restored to the earth to perform these ordinances, such as baptism, authority that was restored by the prophet Joseph Smith. I am also so very thankful for a latter-day prophet Gordon B. Hinckley who leads the church today. A wonderful man inspired by God.

I was just talking to my friend Megan the other day about how hard it can be to get up at Testimony meeting and bear my testimony. I have a hard time getting up in front of so many people, and I’m thankful to be able to do it here. I had told Megan that I try to tell my kids my testimony of the gospel in small pieces (since I know that if I don’t share, I will lose what I have). It also feels like such a blessing to me that Joseph asked me to share with Ji. I have had another opportunity to share some things that are so important to me with people who are so important to me. I love each of you!

2 comments: