Looking out at our decapitated snowman, freezing weather, wind blowing, snowing, winter scene, I wanted to remember warmer days!
I remember looking out our bedroom window one night at the sunflowers that were growing there. On the stem of one of the sunflowers was a tiny frog. Michigan is full of frogs. It's fun to hear them chirping, but we usually just see the toads in the grass, bumpy and brown. Or we see the bull frogs at the nature center. I keep meaning to plant sunflowers in that same spot in the hopes of seeing another little frog. If you look at the pictures, you can also see a little tree. It's a flowering plum. It's pretty big by now. I wouldn't be able to take that same picture today. Mostly you'd just see tree.
We didn't get an ultrasound with the pregnancy and so we didn't know if the baby was a boy or girl. I had a kind of sixth sense about it though and bought many, many baby girl clothes at garage sales that summer. May brought a lot of joy to our lives. The best word I can think of to describe the time after she was born is 'sunshiney.' She was a peaceful baby and a beautiful one. Since she was too little to enjoy the gift I gave her that summer, I give it to her now.
When each of our babies have been born, we have picked a classical piece for them. May's piece is "Sheep May Safely Graze" by J. S. Bach. It is a happy, lilting, sweet melody that totally captures those early days of her life.
The day my water broke, I had driven down to Charlotte (40-45 minutes) because they had the closest Walmart. I heard that music while I was driving and just knew that it was "the one."
I love you, May!
P.S. Just for my own benefit, Nathan's piece was "Air in D" by Bach, Elijah's was "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" by Bach, Sariah's was a violin piece from Chris Baker's doctoral CD (Joseph, do you remember?), and Brigham's was Pachelbel's "Canon."


No comments:
Post a Comment