Monday, February 18, 2008

Backlinks

Here's a cool Blogger function.

Go to 'Settings' and click the 'Comments' tab. There you will see an option for showing 'Backlinks.' Backlinks allow you to keep track of other pages on the web that link to your posts.

I wanted to know more about that and clicking on the help, I found that I could search through Blog Search and find backlinks to my blog. Use this search: link:YOUR-BLOG-HERE.blogspot.com. I don't have many, but I had a couple that surprised me. If I click the option to show backlinks, these should show up in the comments section of my posts.

Oh, and if you use Google Reader, notice at the bottom of the search that there's a link you can click to add this search to your Google Reader account so you'll be notified if somebody backlinks you!

P.S. An update. This post by Marni, tells you how to find out how many subscribers you have to your blog through Google Reader.

3 comments:

  1. Cindi, I saw the option for showing backlinks and have that squared away now (thanks for the tip!) but couldn't figure out how to do the Blog Search to find backlinks to my blog. Maybe that just means there aren't any backlinks to my blog? I went to Blog Search and put in my whole blog name: shelleycapener.blogspot.com and it came up empty. Am I doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I just posted on at least one way to find out. I know there are other ways to subscribe besides Google Reader, though.

    http://stillswinging.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-many-subscribers.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I don't know if my other post went through. I mentioned that it would be nice to find out how many subscribers you have too. And then, I did it.

    ReplyDelete