Saturday, February 16, 2008

Library Bags

Today, I made library bags for each of their kids. I want them each to have a library card, check out their own books and learn more responsibility. I used canvas bags that Joseph has brought home from conferences he has attended. I made small drawstring bags that are just the right size for library cards. I attached them to the canvas bags and off we went. It was new and exciting! Here's how I did it:

Here are my handy quilting tools, useful for cutting fabric for other projects as well.

First, I cut a 6" by 6 1/2" piece of cloth.

I zigzagged around the edges.

I folded the 6 1/2" side down 3/4" and sewed a seam.

I folded the fabric in half with the seam side out and sewed around the edge.

I stopped before I got to the zig-zag to leave an opening for threading the cord through.

I used a safety pin to thread the cord.

Voila! I decided that I liked cording better than twine.

I just looped the bag through it's own cord onto the handle of the canvas bag.

Off to the library we go!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! When I read the "Read Aloud" post I was going to mention our library bags to you and how they have a little pocket for their card, but you already jumped that hurdle. Now just remind them that that's ALWAYS where the card goes. Before the library trip last week Melanie couldn't find her card. I didn't know where it would have gone so I had the librarian check to see if it had been left there. Nope. Just after she dug through all the cards Melanie whispered to me, "I remembered I put it in my white wallet." Nice.

    ReplyDelete