Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Old Time Radio

I think we may try something new. This suggestion came from "The Read-Aloud Handbook." There is a website that offers thousands of old radio shows burned onto a CD as MP3 files. It is found here:

www.otrcat.com


I clicked on the 'Children' link. Once there you can click on any individual show for a synopsis. Generally you can get between 30-80 episodes for $5.00.

I recently read about a family with no t.v. The idea is in my head now and I'm wondering how we might get along without one. I like having the t.v. to send my kids to when I'm feeling burned out and I need some quiet. I don't know if I could let it go. Joseph and I have also relied pretty heavily on that object at times. For instance, after Brigham was born and we were dealing with his colic, we watched every single episode of Little House on the Prairie. Lately, we've watched a slew of Hallmark Films, Jane Austen, some PBS documentaries etc. What would life be like without a t.v., dvd's and vhs? Could these radio shows fill in? Funny how I feel like I'd be depriving us if I took away the t.v. Poor little Brigham couldn't watch Thomas the Tank Engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment