a) I was driving
b) I was using my phone's camera
c) It was really cold outside, so my kids didn't like my window down.
It looks like a war zone in some places. Well, maybe it looks like a war zone to a small rodent, but still.
The other day it had been snowing and the roads were pretty slick. My kids were being kids and it was a tense ride home. Then we hit the potholes. I thought my body was going to shatter. Just terrible. I'm always so happy to see the road crews out working that I want to roll my window down and thank them! There's really not much they can do until warm weather is here to stay. It's the freeze and thaw that causes it. Here's an article that describes it. This website actually has a pothole photo contest! Don't take a photo while driving. Well, duh! Hey, wait a minute...I'm not accountable for what I do with five kids fighting together in the van.
It's funny because I had been thinking about writing a blog about this and now I'm searching the internet for a photo and finding many, many news articles about the problem!
These potholes are an especial problem for a person like me. When I try to miss them, it is most likely that I will actually hit them. BUMP!!
I remember once in Lansing seeing a bunch of hubcaps propped up against a pole on the side of the road. I thought, hmmm, why all the hubcaps here. THEN I hit an enormous pothole. It didn't occur to me 'til later to check my tire. Sure enough, the hubcap was missing. AND, it bent my rim and we ended up having to replace the rim AND then entire tire rod as a result. It was VERY expensive. I hate those potholes! Like you, I try to swerve to miss them and seem to slam right into them anyway! Maybe we should TRY to hit them!?
ReplyDelete