Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Student and the Teacher

I have spent a lot of this fluffy, puffy white day reading a book recommended by my friend Marni called "The Read Aloud Handbook" because humpf! that snow just wasn't packable for a snowman.

I'll have to make a post later about the totally cool things I'm learning in that book, but for now, I just have to share the inspiration I got today. Most people have probably heard the Buddhist proverb that says, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears." I have found this to be so true in my life.

It takes faith to go out into the world, knowing that my questions will be answered in some form or another. Sometimes that answer comes from a person, sometimes it's in a book, sometimes it's a thought that is placed in my mind. I'm working on having the faith needed to get the answers I need and the patience to wait until the answer comes. I have tended to act rashly in the past, rather than waiting until the answer came.

I have been wanting to reduce the amount of our possessions. I want to live more simply. One of my thoughts was that we could get rid of some of our books and use our library cards more. In my reading today I found that research suggests that having a lot of books and having them spread throughout all the rooms of the house creates an environment that encourages reading in children.

So, I had hit the pause button a few weeks ago after I dreamed up this plan. I'm sure glad I did. We keep the books!


3 comments:

  1. I have the same feelings all the time about simplifying my life and the clutter in my home. I also wanted to pack up a lot of the books and use the library more, but when I told Andrew, well, he did not agree. We have, however, decided that the kids could keep a good portion of books in their room. That has helped with all the STUFF. But, still a little (or a lot in my case) stuff would make cleaning easier! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, we've got books all over the house, and go to the library every week. I'm still thinking I need to move some out. I love to read all kinds of stories with the kids, but I'm deciding that there are those that I want to keep forever and those that I can get at the library if we need to read them again because they aren't the eternal favorites we need to read all the time.

    Isn't the Read-Aloud Handbook GREAT?!? So inspiring in so many directions.

    On the proverb, yes I've heard it, but thanks for the reminder. I've been telling people they can come help me get rid of my 'extra' for years and no one has taken me up on it. When someone finally did, I was so perfectly ready that it has been good for both of us. She only came once, but I still consider her my coach through it all. I love to call and give her updates and she always has a word of advice when it need it.

    ReplyDelete