

A few years ago when I volunteered for the nursery at church every week, a lady brought in a plastic storage container about a quarter full of rice and beans (dry) and some cups so that the kids could dig through the beans. It was a great idea for a tactile activity for kids. I took the idea home and bought this large under-the-bed box and filled it about a third full of beans, lentils, and rice. We have a whole range of different size containers and scoops as well as a funnel. We use it mostly for a Family Home Evening activity. The kids (all ages, Nathan is 11 and still gets into it!) just love to get it out for digging, dumping and burying. It really just takes a broom and dustpan afterward to clean up. Occasionally we've put treats in there for them to dig through and find.
This was Brigham's first time and it took him about five minutes to warm up to the idea. By the time I had come back with the ice cream, wild horses couldn't drag him away!
See what other people are talking about today at Talk about Tuesday!
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
A Bushel of Beans
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
looks like fun!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! I love the hidden treasures idea! Looks like they are having a great time, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a creative & fun idea for kids' entertainment!
ReplyDeleteI want one! I like the idea of an under the bed box too. Just put the lid on and stash it somewhere to be used again another time.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea! I have three kids that would love this!
ReplyDeleteThat would be a cool teaching tool, too...I can see putting stuff in it for them to find that pertains to what they learned in school. Great idea!!
ReplyDelete