
From the back seat of the van yesterday, Sariah said:
"When I'm a mom, I'm going to be a nice mom."
Nice! I wouldn't guess that she's implying anything here!
(Below is a collection of fun things we've recorded that the kids have said. To start from the beginning, scroll down to the bottom and read from the bottom up!)
January 2010
May: The good thing about books is every time you read them, you find something new.
January 2010
I was being silly and suggesting that Brigham walk to the store and buy some things I needed. He replied, "If I go down the street, I'll get lost!"
December 2009
Some background first: Brigham has taken after his older brother. He likes birds. In fact, he likes them so much that he is always telling us, "I'm a robin," "I'm a chickadee."
Another fact about him is that he has never gone to the nursery at church (for children 18 mos. - 3 years old).
Me: Brigham, aren't you excited that you are going to go to your own class at church with all the other little girls and boys.
Brigham: I'm a robin.
end of discussion.
2-4-2009
Elijah: Mom, when I grow up and move away, I want to take some of your recipes with me.
Brigham: Can you fix me I'm broken?
I opened the door where he was supposed to be SLEEPING and found him standing there with one sock wadded up in his hand.
2-2-2009
Last night I pointed out to Brigham that the sun was going down. He said, "Yeah, the sun will go down and then lady moon will come." Later, he realized it was dark and said, "It's dark, I need to go outside and see lady moon." Being the good mom that I am, I picked him up and took him out to find her. We looked up, he said, "Ooooh, there's lady moon." Then, "I need to go inside now. Good-bye lady moon, I'm going inside and you need to stay out here!"
12-24-2008
A Teachable Moment
Brigham: Can I have a juice box?
Mama: They're all gone.
Brigham: Can I have a juice box?
Mama: They're all gone.
Brigham: Unghh!!! I hit you.
12-19-2008
Unnamed child: That's dumb!
Papa: What?
Child: D-U-M-N, Dumb!
Papa: How did you spell that?
Child: D-U-M-N, Dumb!!!
12-14-2008
Sariah has swollen/infected lymph nodes. She came to me today and said, "Mom, I think I know what' s making my neck hurt." She pulled up her sleeve (showing yellow marker marks), "This yellow on my arm." That gave me a good laugh and I said to her, "Sariah, this skin on my knee is really dry, I think it's making my head hurt." And other family members took their turns. She, in turn, laughed!
12-11-2008
From the back seat, Joseph and I heard, "I'm smilin'" Except it didn't sound like that. When I turned around, there was Brigham with his eyes squinched shut and a huge toothy grin on his face. Again, he said, "I'm smilin' " And then, hilariously, "It's dark!" Finally, he opened his eyes and said, "It's light now."
12-09-2008
We were listening to a Christmas story on CD in the van. Nathan and I were laughing because some of the lines in the story were so idiotic. Nathan said, "Ha ha ha (real laughing), this is so funny." Brigham stopped him, "No, don't you say it's funny. I say it's funny!" Then he went on, "Oh, this is so funny, ha ha ha (contrived laughing)!"
12-07-2008
Sariah (after getting sent to bed early): You're never going to see me again!
12-06-2008
Brigham: Yer gonna get me ice cream!
11-06-2008
Joseph: What did you talk about in Social Studies today?
May: stuff
Joseph: Oh, come on...
May: boring stuff
11-06-2008
Brigham was saying something over and over again. Some of the other kids were getting annoyed.
Joseph: It's o.k., he's just a baby.
Brigham: No, I NOT!
Sariah: You're Brigham.
Brigham: No, I a good boy!
11-01-2008
Sariah (yelling down the hallway): Mom, Brigham's awake! I can hear him!
Brigham (little voice from behind the door): You can?
11-01-2008
Brigham runs into the room where Joseph was sleeping, "One, two, three!" Runs out of the room "Four, six, seven." Long pause, "Eight!"
10-18-2008
After a walk through the beautiful fall woods, time spent in the local cemetery, and a trip to the nature center for the apple butter festival:
Sariah: You never let us do ANYTHING!
10-10-2008
Sariah: Mom, your hair doesn't look very nice in the morning!
10-2-2008
Brigham: Mom, mom...my!
me: yer? (your?)
Brigham: yeah!
Two years (give or take) ago:
Elijah (after eating his dinner): I'm full to the ding, ding, ding (indicating a place at the top of his head).
9-26-2008
Nathan: Look Brigham, it's a police car.
Brigham: No, Nathan, it's a woo-woo.
April 2008
I came upon the birthday interview I gave Elijah when he turned seven (the first birthday interview I ever did)
Me: What's the grossest thing you can think of?
Elijah: Dogs with green and red eyes.
9-17-2008
Brigham (to the tone of a truck backing up, while backing up a Hotwheels truck): Mmmmm, Mmmmm, Mmmmm (we've talked about trucks backing up, but not modeled this for him; he picked it up on his own!)
9-15-2008
I was sitting and reading in the bathroom while Brigham took his bath. He started making some big splash sounds. Then, he opened the glass door and told me, "Mommy, I'm funny. I gonna do it again." He closed the door and proceeded to sit in the water much like you would on a trampoline. Laughing, laughing, "I funny mommy!"
9-15-2008
Elijah: Mom, remember when you made that bean soup with ham? There were one, I think, two leaves in it!
9-11-2008
May to me (confidentially): Mom, there's a leaf in your soup.
We've all been reading a book called "Trucks" to Brigham. Lately, when I'm done reading, he takes it and says, "I'm gonna read it now." What follows is so cute! He sits down and tries to read it using the same voice cadences that we do. If he doesn't know the words he just repeats the word, "truck, truck, truck..."
9-10-2008
Brigham's new most-used word: YA!
9-1-2008
Joseph and May were getting into the car after a trip to Barnes and Noble. May begged Joseph not to turn the news on for the trip home.
Joseph: Oh, you want some quality time with me, huh?
May: No, I just want to start reading as soon as possible!
9-1-2008
May was talking on the phone with her friend. Joseph told May that it was time to go to Pizza Hut.
May (to her friend): My dad says it's time for me to get off to go get pizza, blah, blah, blah...
8-25-2008
Brigham: Mommy, mommy, I jumpin' a see-wing! (Mommy, I'm jumping to the ceiling!)
8-24-2008
Joseph: Brigham, are you running down the sam boon?
Brigham: No Papa, say SAND DUNE.
8-20-2008
Brigham: I'm running down the sam boon (sand dune)!
8-14-2008
Brigham: Where's my woo-woo? (translated: ambulance)
Brigham: Mama, I have two itchies (itching at his nipples which he figures must be mosquito bites).
8-9-2008
Brigham (loud and happy): Looook Papa! Mama has a tsr-airy [fairy] door tew [too]!
8-3-2008
Papa comes home at 9:50 pm from a meeting. Sariah runs out to hug him (she was supposed to be ASLEEP long ago!).
Mom: I don't THINK so!
Sariah (slamming her door): SPOIL SPORT!
7-19-2008
Brigham: I need diet coke!
7-2008
Joseph has been singing to Brigham at night before bed. When he finishes singing a song, Brigham says: nuzza song, nuzza song
7-19-2008
Brigham (seeing the sprinkles on his ice cream): I LIKE candies!
7-17-2008
Cindi: I'm gonna lose it! (preceding a description of Nathan's antics)
7-17-2008
Papa: Why did you do that?
Nathan: Because I knew it was wrong!
7-17-2008
Sariah: (muttering) Everything on my bed before the timer dings?? That's dumb. That's stupid. Mom is bad. Mom isn't bad; she isn't nice...SHE'S EVIL!!! (She comes out smiling about a minute later) My bed's made. I got a present for you!
anytime, anywhere, any kid
It's not FAIR!!!!!
7-12-2008
Brigham (after going out for ice cream): Tanks Papa Mom!
A few weeks ago
May: I know what I want to wear the first day of school. I want to match Sariah!
7-9-2008
Sariah: Mom, do you remember that day that you wore your p.j.'s all day long?
Me: Shhhhhh!
7-4-2008
Brigham (lying in bed with Papa): E, no come in! S, no come in
6-25-2008
Sariah: Papa, are you and Mom mating?
Joseph: Are you learning about how animals have babies?
(followed by a teaching moment about bodies and where babies come from!)
Sariah (playing with pieces of her tortilla): Hi, Mother! Hi, Father! Wanna have some babies?
6-23-2008
I gave the kids some ice cream and chocolate topping. One of them commented on how the chocolate looked black. I told them that it was because it is "Double chocolate." Sariah asked, "Is it from the devil?"
6-18-2008
Brigham (looking at the lady bugs): Oh! Turtle!
6-16-2008
Brigham (running down the path): Gonna go play boats, Mom!
6-14-2008
Sariah: A nuthatch is a bird that hatches nuts.
6-5-2008
Nathan: Thanks a lot! Oh, I wasn't being sarcastic. Thanks, Mom. (Hmmmm. Need to work on the sarcasm in our household!)
5-29-2008
Nathan: Mom, can you make my powdered milk? I always make a ginormagantic mess when I do it!
5-28-2008
Sariah, to May (in a huffy voice): Mom made me come upstairs just because I stepped on Nathan's head!
5-25-2008
In Primary today the children were asked if they knew what baptism was. Sariah raised her hand. When she was called on she plugged her nose and said, "It's whed you plug your dose and your dad puts you back in da water and thed brings you up agaid (again)."
5-23-2008
Sariah: "Papa, can we go on a walk to the [convenience store] at the corner? And you can decide what kind of treat I will get if I am good on the walk?"
Brigham goes around telling me, "Butter honeys...butter honeys." What a kid, what a kid. I give him plain bread. What a mom!
5-15-2008
We were in the store and Sariah spied one of those garbage cans with a rounded cover. She yells out to me, "Hey mom, it looks like a huge butt cheek!"
We've been doing lots of errands lately (Sariah, Brigham and I). Yesterday, we got back from running around and I realized that I needed to go back out again quickly. Sariah is tired of all this shopping and didn't want to go. I decided to bribe her by telling her I'd get her a treat. I bought her some jellybeans and she ate a bunch. Later in the day she asked for more. I told her she'd had enough sweets for the day. She burst into tears and said, "So you were trying to be nice to me and now you're being mean????"
5-13-2008
Something Elijah told Sariah: Inch worms eat leaves and then spit them back out again so that they can make a cocoon.
Sariah: Mom, can you buy those chocolate bars that have mountains and swirls? (Huh??? Can anyone help me here?)
5-9-2008
Sariah: Mom, can you put your thumb up your nose?
Me: I don't think so. (But, I had to try it. How gross is that?)
Me: Oh, yep Sariah, I can put my thumb up my nose.
Sariah: Me too.
5-5-2008
We are currently working on the inside of our house, moving kids around and trying to make things fit better. I called Sariah and May into the room last night telling them that I wanted to talk to them. I told them that they would soon be sharing a room. We are planning on buying bunk beds and that they should think about this change that is about to happen and work on being good friends. The next time I looked over, there they were hugging each other and making plans to play together more often! :D
5-6-2008
This morning on the way to school, I noticed Elijah's rooster tails and told him to use his spit to try to help his hair lay down. He tried, but then asked me to try to help him before he got out of the van. I told him that it would "take a lot of spit to get it to lay down." As we were pulling away from the school Sariah asked, "What's a takealotta?" It took me a minute to understand what she meant.
4-30-2008
Grandpa Burris sent Elijah a McDonalds gift card for his birthday. I explained to him that he could go to McDonalds and order whatever he wanted.
Elijah: Can I get a snap wrack?
Me: Yes.
Elijah: Can I get two snap wracks?
Me: Yep. (snicker, snicker)
Elijah: Can I get three snap wracks?
Me: Sure can. (outright laughing)
Elijah: Ahrg. snack wraps!!
4-29-2008
Brigham ran away from me after a diaper was taken off him and he peed on the floor.
Brigham (looking down): Uh-oh!
4-28-2008
Sariah: Mom, could we see a whole pile of germs?
4-26-2008
Elijah to Nathan who had been gone all day:
Papa rented a pogo stick to get the cement out!
4-24-2008
Sariah: Thanks for coming back to town, Papa.
Sariah: Come on Brigham, I'm going to watch Backyardigans!
Brigham: On, gans. On, gans.
4-20-2008
In Primary, we heard that Parley P. Pratt was 23 years old when he read the Book of Mormon.
Sariah (in a loud, clear voice): My dad is 38 years old.
4/17/2008
I had just hit and killed a squirrel on the road. Sariah started singing, "DON'T KILL US SQUIRRELS!"
4/16/2008
Sariah: Mom, how does your hair curl up?
4/15/2008
Sariah: I can't believe Sister Finlay is going to Hawaii! There's a volcano in Hawaii!!!
4/7/08
Brigham: Pay Atos Pease (translated: play water please!)
4/6/08
Nathan: Why would anyone want a glass shower door? Isn't that embarrassing?
4/5/08
Sariah: I can't believe there are freeways in Florida!?
4/4/08
Sariah: Did the Smoking Mountains blow up?
3-30-2008
Sariah: I found an Easter egg in the chairs downstairs, and it's not even EASTER!!!
3-29-2008
Elijah's birthday card to a (girl) friend (awwww!):
"Hope you have a sweet birthday!"
3-28-2008
Sariah: Mom, we know where we're going. We don't even need those lines in the road.
a few days ago
Cindi: Sariah, what happened to your hair?
Sariah: I didn't cut it with my scissors!
3-26-08
Sariah: Mom, a giant can jump up to the clouds.
Brigham: Bye, bus. Bye, t-t-t bus. Bye rar rar. Mmmm, mmm (whiny dog sound).
Nathan: (You should see the look on his face as we talk about the possibilities of a dog!)
Sariah: My broken pirate eye patch is in the big garbage truck, right mom?
3-25-08
Elijah: I jump roped ALL the recesses, except lunch. (He demonstrated his new trick. Impressive!)
May: (after a field trip) I got to taste fresh maple syrup, I got to eat homemade ice cream, I got to touch a little lamb, I got to help milk a cow, I got to get a pine tree, I planted a seed in an egg shell, and I have a bean growing in a little bag.
3-24-08
Brigham: Bye, house. Bye, house. Bye, house.
Sariah: Mom, I don't know what my wedding cake will look like when I get married!
Sariah: How can any of us hang off this planet?
Nathan: I can't believe you and Papa are actually thinking about getting a hypoallergenic dog!!
She was saying she is going to be just like YOU! :)
ReplyDeleteMINE on the other hand, were also telling me the other day how they plan to parent. It started with one telling me that she'll let her kids sleep with her anytime they want, and another piped in and agree. The second also said said that he'll buy his kids anything they want when they ask. Of course the whole time I was thinking, "Riiiiiiiight."
I am not sure what kind of mom I will be, but I had the same thought about when I became a boss.
ReplyDeleteI thought, when I become a boss I am going to be a nice boss. My employees are going to love working and everything is going to be great. I am not sure that my employees feel that way...
I wish! She went on to tell me that not only is she going to be nice but that *her* kids will do whatever she asks them to do!
ReplyDeleteI'm SO glad you have recorded this for posterity! Just think how it will come in handy someday!--Shelley
ReplyDelete