Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Florida Wildlife

Besides the birds, we also saw some other animals:

The manatees, of course

Alligators kept in a cage at the boat rental place. They did tell us there have been some sightings in the river lately. I made sure to ask if it would be dangerous!

Lizards, hard to catch

It's mating seasons for the horseshoe crabs!

At least three different species of flutterby

There were hundreds and hundreds of these huge dragonflies around. I guess they were eating up the mosquitoes because we weren't bothered by the bugs.

These are interesting. When we first got there, we picked these globs out of the water which I surmised to be some kind of eggs. By the time we left, they were like big boogers. My guess is that it's hatching time.

Baby turtles hatching on the beach.

We also saw dolphins on two occasions, lots of crabs, fish in the ocean and also really cool fish in the river. There were lots more kinds of birds too!

2 comments:

  1. wow. how did you score such an excellent place? it's gorgeous! and you took some fantastic pictures! i'm appalled at your horseshoe crab porn, however.

    looks like you guys had a super time... much deserved. i'm envious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help it, I'm a ZOOLOGIST!

    ReplyDelete