Friday, April 25, 2008

I Have a Thing for...Dirt



I have a lot of interests. The more I write on my blog, the more I realize how complex life is, how many things I'm involved in, how much I have to be grateful for. The irony is that it's also very simple when you stop and take things at a slower pace.

The thing that I'm really interested in today, besides the Mexican Rice I have rolled up in a tortilla with cheese and sour cream, is DIRT.

Last night we had one of our family yard clean-ups, complete with treats, of course. We spent the night raking the leaves out of the flower beds, pruning trees and pulling out grass and weeds. This morning when I came back from my walk I looked over all of that fresh dirt and the perennials that are beginning to show themselves (& I might add the splinters in my fingers for refusing to wear gloves). I'm so excited! How can I not share pictures of my dirt!! Doesn't it make you wonder what this dirt holds in store for summer?



Maybe I'm a little weird? Oh well, I got it from my mom. AND, she even used to give me permission to blame things on her, so I will! Joseph uses the politically correct term of "off-the-wall."

5 comments:

  1. Or, "outside the box," which my staff have banned from my staff meeting vocabulary.

    Well, I guess that's no small wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of all the digging I did to put in flower beds after we moved in during the spring of 1999.

    I remember measuring the total garden space I put in that year at over 300 linear feet. Amazing. How much do you think we have planted back in grass?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's been some planted back to grass, but not as much as you'd like, I know. We still have lots of flower beds and this is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we went to the library today we were met at the door by a lady asking if we were going to story time. I said we hadn't planned on it, and the lady said they would be reading about trees for Arbor Day and then the kids would get to help plant some trees. We looked around for books while they read, then we headed out for the tree planting. Holy smokes, they had buckets and shovels for the kids to use and take home, treats, drinks, and even free bulbs for everyone! It was a nice surprise.

    You reminded me about a book I let my FIL use and has since disappeared called "Start with the Soil." I could use it. We've got some troubled dirt here and there. Just looking, I KNOW I didn't pay everyone is listing now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I play with dirt for a living. It's my life.

    Some days- and I'm not kidding here- I get paid to roll small balls of clay into tiny little worms of clay, then ball them up again, and then roll them out again, over and over, until the clay dries out too much to roll them into worms anymore.

    Look, it's a great gig if you can get it.

    ReplyDelete