Friday, April 25, 2008

Vacation

To go with my poll that is running right now, I want to hear from you about vacation.

My friend Megan and I walk together. She loves to travel and travels at every opportunity. She's been to some really cool places. Last summer we talked about how people who like to travel give up other things and economize so that they can vacation. I'm intrigued by the idea. I'm interested in it for myself and for my kids. There are things you can learn from seeing the world that you can never learn in school. For instance, Nathan swam with a manatee in Florida. Can you imagine how much more he thinks about protecting manatee populations? Can you imagine how much more he must admire and respect nature? Can you imagine how this might increase his hunger to learn and see more? Another example. I've never seen a third world country. In my Geography class in college, I learned a great deal and my eyes were opened to things I had never considered, by an excellent professor. Still, imagine how much more I would feel and understand by actually seeing it!

Here's a list of the places I'd like to go. These have been on my list for a very long time. I never imagined being able to visit them, but now that I've seen some things that I never thought I would (Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Florida) I'm seeing myself going other places as well:

1) Monterey, CA. This will always be #1, I believe.
2) Guatemala
3) Italy
4) Israel

Within the U.S., I still want to take my kids to Southern Utah, to Washington D.C., to upper New York state, to Boston, Maine, and Cape Cod.

My vacations in the works:

1) Upper peninsula of Michigan (as a family)
2) Houston, Texas (Elijah and I)
3) Guatemala (Joseph and I)

A list of where I've been:

1) Eastern & Southern Utah
2) Southern California (Disneyland, Sea World, etc.)
3) Central California (Monterey--lived there, Yosemite, Sequoia Nat'l Park, Pinnacles)
4) Cape Cod, Plymouth (lived there), Martha's Vineyard, Boston, Maine
5) New York City
6) Washington D.C.
7) Bethlehem, PA
8) Central Ohio (Cuyahoga River Valley--beautiful!)
9) Upper New York State (Niagra Falls and Palmyra, NY)
10) Kirtland, OH
11) Nauvoo, IL
12) Chicago, IL
13) South Dakota (Rushmore and Badlands)
14) Wyoming (Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, and Martin's Cove)
15) Northern Utah (lived there)
16) Several locations in the lower peninsula of MI (live here)
17) Mackinac Island, MI
18) Kentucky (Mammoth Caves & Shaker Village)
19) Cincinnati & Columbus, OH


I'd like to hear where you've been (what's your favorite?), where you want to go (realistically), and where you'd love to visit but probably won't.

Ok, I'm going to try to stop talking about vacation now.

3 comments:

  1. Well you know vacations are my favorite topic, so I can't resist commenting.
    My current favorite vacation place is Mackinac Island (Michigan). It is close enough that it is realistic for us to go, and yet feels like a different world. I love it there!
    I've always wanted to go to Adelaide Australia. I just like the name of the city, but really I would love to go to anywhere in Australia and New Zealand.
    I'd like to think that it is possible for me to travel anywhere at some point. Especially with the family I married into all being travelers. If we can ever earn money (I'm sure my husband will finish school sometime in our lives), we'll have a group to go with--which makes traveling less expensive and lots of fun!
    And I would like to get to all 50 states.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie and I went on our honeymoon to Monterey, CA. Neener! :) We were there on the 4th of July. Fireworks in the fog are pretty darn cool.

    But you've been way way more places than I have. I don't have any big travel dreams, though after seeing your pictures from your most recent I would love to follow in those footsteps. I would love to go back to Germany someday (I did foreign exchange there for a month), and I think England and Scotland would rock too. Oh, and Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to every state except Alaska, Hawaii, and Washington. I've also been to Canada, Mexico, and Guatemala.

    I need to get around more.

    ReplyDelete