Just listen to this description:
"Beware of the Blob!" One of the great cult classics, THE BLOB melds '50s schlock sci-fi and teen delinquency pics even as it transcends these genres with strong performances and ingenious special effects. Made outside of Hollywood by a maverick film distributor...80 MINTUES OF CONCENTRATED MOTION PICTURE TERROR! IN BLOOD-CURDLING COLOR!
Now if that's not enough to get you to run out and rent this flick, maybe my review will help.
I took this recommendation from another blog, suggested by Heidi, I believe.
I'm really not one for horror/terror of any kind. The first Harry Potter had me hyperventilating and gave me nightmares as did the Lord of the Rings, even with silly looking special effects.
Joseph and I sat there eating our Panchero's chicken salads as the movie started. We were excited that the movie stars Steve McQueen from Joseph's favorite movie of all time "The Great Escape." A meteorite falls and an old man comes to the scene where he pokes at it and finds some slimy gook. Suddenly the slimy gook sticks to the old man's hand and he can't get it off. Steve and his date almost run into the old man on the road and take him to the Dr. We get a glimpse of his awful looking hand and I almost lose my salad. (I do not know why this is happening to me. I used to have a stomach of steel and not the least bit of a gag reflex. My family used to talk about the grossest things at dinnertime. Now, just the slightest provocation and I turn green.) Nothing much uphill from there.
I decided that I'm not watching horror flicks. There is no happy ending. They dump this large pile of reddish gook that has swallowed 40-50 people into the arctic and say, "We are safe as long as the arctic stays frozen." How prophetic can you get? And I'm left wondering what giant thing will swallow me in the night as global warming unleashes this awful monster...
Sunday, May 25, 2008
The BLOB
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
LOL! I'm glad you reviewed this movie for me; now I don't have to waste any time checking it out myself. I, too, used to have a stomach of steel but am a total wimp now. I wonder if it has to do with going through pregnancies?
ReplyDeleteLOL!! I can't wait to rent it! Thank you for the description!
ReplyDeleteYou should have watched Them! first. It is much better than the Blob, but I enjoyed the description! LOL
ReplyDelete