This post might round out your ideas of me that range from thinking I'm slightly to moderately weird into the VERY weird category, but it must be written so that I don't forget as I continue down the path to senility.
Once I got married, I started using nicknames. I can't imagine how this originated because I don't have much experience with nicknames. My mom called me "Cin" and probably had some similar type nickname for each of my siblings. Oh, I remember calling my brother "Toad." Poor kid. Are you over that yet, Todd? I had over 20 nicknames for Joseph, most of which I can't remember.
Once Nathan was born, Joseph (Joe at the time) became himself again and Nathan had what seems like hundreds of nicknames. Once May was born, Nathan retained a few nicknames and May had bunches and bunches and so on down the line.
Interesting phenomenon. About a year ago, I was telling someone about this and she totally couldn't relate saying that sometimes she called her boys "Buddy." That actually surprised me because I thought everyone used nicknames. I still wonder how many people do and how many people are as crazy as I am about it.
So, just for the fun of it, I'll list Brigham's nicknames (and edit as necessary when I remember others). I'll list the ones I can think of that I use right now for the other kids too.
NOTE: This post has been edited by Joseph and I certainly can't and won't take claim on some of these nicknames. But you, the reader, will never know which of us is weirder. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!
Brigham:
B
BB
BBB
Beeb
Beebee Dee
Big Boy
Big Guy
Brig
Briggy Benji
Brighamin Benji Boy
Brighamin Benji Body
Brighams
Brig-HAM
Buddy
Cutie Guy
Froobie
Froo Froo
Hambone
Hammy
Hammy Boy
Little Guy
Lovey Dovey
Silly Guy
Silly Willy
Sweetcakes
(I have lots more, I know it. I just can't think of them and will add them in later.)
Sariah:
Rissy Su
S
Sa
Saríah
Sariah Ruth
Sartah Rey (long story on that one)
Sis
Sissy
Sissy Ru
Elijah:
Bulldozer
E
Elías
Ejila
E-lijah (stress first syllable)
La
Lías
Lij (long i)
Lijy
Lijy Boy
Lijy Lou
Someone asked us when he was born if we were going to call him "Eli." I've never called him that.
May:
Amy
Esther May
Lulu
M
Ma
Maisy
Maisy Daze
Maisy Daisy
May May
Maya
Mayacita
Mayita
May Estree
Miss May
Yam
Nathan:
Buddy-boy
Chewy
N
Na
Nanito
Nano (pronounced NAH-no)
Nano (pronounced NAY-no)
Natán
Natancito
Nate the Great
Nathaniel (Huh? A nickname is usually shorter, isn't it?)
Nuthane (Nathan backwards phonetically)
Now, my title might indicate that those who have more nicknames are more loved. Not really so!
Do you remember the anti-superhero Sindro from The Incredibles? We do have to admit, albeit a bit sheepishly, after certain activities of anti-superhero proportions, our children have at rare times also earned the nicknames Tantro and Destructo. At times of extreme frustration, we have been known to refer to them collectively (to each other only) as "the baddies." Although it breaks the tension, but we might do better to refrain!
Sunday, May 25, 2008
How Do I Love Thee...Let Me Count the Nicknames!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a great post! I can't help but wonder if the nicknaming (and playing with words in general) is kind of a Green Family thing? Because Chris thinks that words are toys. And so do our children, now. BTW, I learned a new word that can be applied to Chris or your husband (or many others in that family). . .they are spoonerists. Yes, there is an actual diagnosis for their condition. ha!
ReplyDelete