Sariah has been collecting insects to keep as pets. The first was a pill bug. She called it a pill bug; I grew up with "potato bug." She carried that up to her room in her hand, asking me what pill bugs eat and was sorry that it was dead in the morning.
Next was an inch worm, this time in a container with a leaf. This one apparently ate three bites and then went for a walk.
Today, she left a piece of apple out on the sidewalk for an ant that she almost squished to death. Some kind of peace offering, no doubt. She told me that later it would be covered with ants. I can't wait.
She found a book about butterflies and wants to know if we have the plants in our yard (milkweed) where the butterflies lay their eggs so we can gather some and raise our own butterflies. This is more to my liking. Maybe we'll hunt up some butterfly eggs!
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Insects
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love potato bugs! How fun to watch your budding naturalist, as long as it all stays outside, eh? My boys have been known to bring toads in the house (which disappeared, to my great dismay), not to mention snails and SLUGS. yuck.
ReplyDeleteCarolyn is a certified potato bug lover. She finds some every day to play with, and I always love how delighted she is to show me. :)
ReplyDelete