Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Love-Hate Relationship with my Bathroom

But, first, a couple of thoughts.

The sky is a lovely cerulean blue today and it's about 60 degrees and breezy. I simply have to share this information with someone.

Me: The sky is cerulean blue today.

Joseph: What color is that?

Me: Well, it's the color of the City trash bins, but a little more sky-ey. Know what I mean?




Sariah was playing around with the gummy worms I bought her (another shopping bribe) and was breaking them in to pieces to make a family.

Sariah (playing with her worm family): What? The baby has come?!! I can't believe the baby is already here. (Dad voice) Oh, look, the baby, I think I'm going to eat her. (Mom voice) NO! You can't eat her, she's our baby!!!




I am a ball of anger bouncing around the world. This is probably due to my coming off my medication. Joseph very kindly asked me if it was worth it to come off of the medication. I can't answer him. It's not time yet. I need more time.




Did you know that ants protect the peony blossoms until they are ready to bloom? I think they protect them from wasps laying their eggs, but I could be wrong. The ants benefit because there is some kind of sweet stuff they eat on the peonies. It's been a long time since I read about it and I don't have time to research it now. Still, every year when I see this it amazes me. Luckily I read about this before the first time I ever saw it because I'm definitely someone who would have set out to eradicate the ants if I didn't know better.



Nathan took the camera outside yesterday because he wanted to try to photograph some birds. He got a great shot here of a male and female cardinal. Can you find them both?




Now, for my bathroom.

When we were searching for houses, there were really only three or four in our price range contrasting to the hundreds of similar houses for sale like ours now. Limited choices can be a good thing. This house was the best of the three, but we still had some concerns because the inspector told us that there had been standing water in the basement, despite the owner insisting otherwise. I'm a worrier. Joseph was probably pestered to death during that time because I really wanted this house, but I also really didn't want problems.


On our second time through the house, I noticed something. The bathroom walls had a pattern on them. The then-owner had sponge painted this pattern onto the wall with a sea sponge. She had used three colors. Cornflower blue, moss green and a dark mauve color. While I'm really not very fond of the walls in my bathroom, something hit me about those colors. Those were the exact colors of the towels we have. I'm not kidding. We had at least two or three of each of those color towels including hand towels, rugs, and wash cloths.

To me, this qualified as a sign. It meant that things would be o.k. if we bought this new house. You know what? Looking back over nine years, we've had some problems, even some water in the basement, but I don't regret buying this house. I think it was a good decision.




P.S. It's really hard to redecorate a bathroom when there's only one in the house. I'll be waiting until we have more than one bathroom to paint over the sponge painting. Until then, it's a good reminder that God is watching out for me. He always has and He always will.

3 comments:

  1. peonys..i'm glad you like them. i never appreciated them..my neighbor had them and loved them (little old lady)and there was always ants everywhere and no matter how good she thought she cleaned them, I always ended up with a flower with a couple of straggler ants attached to them..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're are such a gem. That's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE peonies! My wedding bouquet was all pale pink peonies and it was gorgeous. My great-grandma had them in her garden, as well. I definitely didn't know about the ant trick!

    ReplyDelete