Saturday, June 14, 2008

"LUVYAPA"

A couple of weeks ago, Joseph happened to be home when the UPS man dropped in with a package. On the way out of my driveway, the UPS man turned around and asked whose car was parked there. I told him it was Joseph's and he laughed and said, "LUVYAPA?" I hurriedly explained that some of the kids do indeed call him "Pa." That license plate message was cooked up for last Father's Day and now we've rolled around to another.

I'm taken back to when Joseph first became a father. He was so in awe of that little creature, staying up all night if necessary to help soothe Nathan's little colicky belly. Swinging him back and forth to Bach's Air in G. Speaking hushing Spanish tones in the wee hours of the night. Then came May, the sweet little girl child. She didn't need her Papa to pull all-nighters. Still there was the temptation to stay up later than necessary just to drink in her loveliness. Each baby has brought their own wonders and troubles into the world. Joseph has been there for each one.

As the children grow, I see him expanding himself. Taking them one on one. Teaching. Talking. Playing. Laughing. He knows where his treasure is! Happy Father's Day, Joseph!

1 comment: