A couple more notes about changing addresses. Apologies ahead of time for the boring nature of this post. I thought I'd spell it out here in case there's anyone else who wants to make the change and isn't sure where to start. Here's the post I used to guide me through it.
One thing I learned last night is that changing addresses is easy. I should rephrase that. The Blogger part of changing addresses is easy. Simply go to 'Settings,' then 'Publishing' and make the change in address. I believe that it's actually better to begin as if you are setting up a new blog in Blogger. In this way, you can test your new address to see if it's available. I read an eerie blog post (see above link) about making the shift in blog addresses which led me to believe that you could possibly lose all your content if the new address is not available. I guess this probably isn't likely, but I wanted my content safe. As it was, I still felt like I was stepping into the abyss until I saw my blog intact at the new address. I tested it on a different blog first just to see what happened.
I read that some people had their old addresses snatched up by spam-type people. Not likely for me since my blog doesn't have much weight in cyberspace, but I still took precautions. After I had changed addresses, I re-created my old blog and left a message there that my blog had moved with the new link. I'll leave that there for a while and then take that blog address private.
After I made these changes, I sent out an e-mail to people I know who read my blog and people who might read my blog telling them of the change, since I wasn't sure what would happen with feeds etc. I had to change my FeedBurner account and I'm about to change my Google Analytics, but everything else seems to have come over and is intact.
If you have a link to my blog on your blog, I would really appreciate it if you could make sure it doesn't have my last name (I tried to e-mail everyone who might have my last name out there). Also, once I change my old blog address to private, your link won't take people to my blog unless you go in and change it to the new address. I know, I know... It would have been MUCH better for me to think of these things BEFORE creating my blog in the first place. There's an old adage that speaks of it, but my brain cells aren't delivering it to me.
I have several links on my blog to other people's blogs. If you use your last name on your blog, my link includes your last name. If you only use your first name (or no real names), I tried to be sensitive to that. Please check to make sure the way I have it listed is o.k. with you and let me know if you'd like me to remove you or change the link. Or, if you don't see your blog listed, let me know so I can add it! Also, sometimes when someone posts something that especially interests me, I like to link to that post within one of my posts. Let me know if you'd rather I didn't refer people to your blog. I have operated under the principle that goes something like, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission."
I think that covers blog housekeeping for the day. I'm going to plant some seeds unless it rains, but I really should work on organizing my filing system. It's atrocious!
Tuesday, June 3, 2008
More Blogging "Paperwork"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment