I recently had a book and movie recommended to me. I stayed up way too late last night watching the whole series (Don't worry, J, I'll still watch it again with you!). All I can say is, wow! I've only ever read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I'm going to read Bleak House next.
This mini-series was excellent (and eight hours long!). I loved the suspense. There were many times during the movie where I didn't have enough clues to solve a mystery and waited in suspense for more. Other times I knew what was coming "before" the characters and waited for them to "catch up." But, of course, as with other Charles Dickens movies I've seen, he's very real. There were many difficult scenes, many happy scenes also. I cried, I smiled. Horror. Joy. With eight full hours, the characters were developed very well, which is always a plus. Very, very good characters and the very bad, such that when I would see Esther I could feel her sweetness but then seeing Mr. Tulkinghorn, I would loathe him. The cinematography was different...slamming, startling.
Has anyone else seen the movie or read the book? I'd love to hear what you thought of it!
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Bleak House
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have not read nor seen "Bleak House" but I am VERY intrigued... especially in the movie. Will have to rent.
ReplyDeleteI love documentaries, as well, so the other 2 will have to go on my list. Thanks for the recs!
I want to watch this now!
ReplyDeleteFrom Dickens I've read "Great Expectations" (which I loved even more the second time around), and part of "David Copperfield" (don't know why I stopped) and am reading "Tale of Two Cities" and need to just finish that up instead of starting others. I want to read "Oliver Twist" one of these days too.
Dickens makes such memorable characters. Once you read about Miss Havisham you'll never forget her, the strange woman.