I do some of our family's grocery shopping at a no-frills place called Aldi. They really do have some good prices for some of the things we use all the time. I really need to save money on groceries because of the astronomical figure that showed up on my calculator as I added up the receipts for groceries in the last month. It was a lot larger than our mortgage, and these kids continue to grow. There are several reasons why I don't like to shop there, though.
1) Doing my own bagging! The shopping trip takes twice as long.
2) It's supposed to be a stock-up store and how do you stock up for a family of seven with one cart?
3) It's organized so that if you forget something you have to go against the crowd to retrieve the item.
4) You have to get your stuff on the conveyor belt QUICK! And the cashier checks people out QUICK, literally throwing things into the empty cart sometimes.
5) You have to buy your own bags. I usually use the 5 cent paper ones (Hey, we do try to plant one tree per year!).
But, for just five cents, Brigham had a whole lot of fun and it just washed away the pain from last night's shopping trip ($223.89! ACKKK!!).
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Fun for Five Cents!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like to shop at Aldi's as well. I'm sure it is a lot easier for me though with only 3 to buy for. I don't even bag the stuff at all, just put it in the car. I did finally buy some reusable bags though, so I just need to be in the habit of taking them in the stores every time I go shopping...I'm still adjusting to that.
ReplyDeleteSo, just wondering, how FAR does that $223.89 go for your family...a week? more? Less?
ReplyDeleteGuess you would have had a heart attack had you been with me when I got to the end of my trip the other day and said "Wow, I didn't break $300. I still have gas money" :o). Mine was to get us thru a majority of the next couple weeks, but we'll spend another $100 easy on milk, bread (I LOVE the bread outlet shop!!) etc.
Best nickle spent on that bag :o)