Growing up in Utah, we had the Great Salt Lake. It's big. It's salty. Down on the west end of our front porch there was an iron rail. From that vantage point (we lived in the foothills), we could watch the sun set over the Great Salt Lake. Beautiful.
I remember as young child visiting the waters of the lake. I remember seeing a duck or seagull floating on the surface and trying to walk out to touch it, getting my clothing wet. I remember getting out and having itchy legs from all that salt.
Now, we live within two hours of another Great Lake. If you live here in Michigan and have visited Lake Michigan, you know it is vast, immense. There is sugar sand, there are waves (some surfable, I understand), there are dunes, sunsets. The water is not salty!
Here is something I read from a website this weekend (while, of course, planning my next beach trip):
ESCH ROAD BEACH
Near Empire, Mich.
If this lake has a beach that challenges the ones in Hawaii or Mexico, this is it: sugar sand in what resembles a broad mountain cove, with those "mountains" covered with what could pass--if you don't look too closely--as tropical jungle.
It's an illusion, of course, though a glorious one. The largest mountains are the massive Empire Bluffs, and high, forested dunes ring the cove.
I will definitely be wanting to visit this beach. This is pretty far north though, about three and a half hours from home.
I'm writing this post because I just can't get over it. I love this lake!
This year we're also going to try out Lake Huron and Lake Superior. I'm sure you already know you'll be hearing from me about it!
Monday, July 7, 2008
A Great Lake
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have never heard of that beach. We are going to have to go! We head up North in August. I think we will go then.
ReplyDelete