When I was pregnant with Nathan, Joseph and I took many, many walks. Our favorite route was through the neighborhoods of Provo ending up on the south hill that climbs up to the campus of BYU. On that hill were many plum trees which were ripe in the month of August. Joseph picked and picked and we ate and ate. Near my favorite plum tree, we often saw a hummingbird moth. It was usually dark, so we didn't get a good look, but I had seen them before and knew what they looked like.
Yesterday, when we got home from Lake Huron (Nathan and Joseph had arrived home a few hours earlier from Scout Camp), Nathan excitedly told me that he had seen a tiny hummingbird. I said, "Hmmm," as I often do. Later, I went outside to water my flowers and pull a few of my many weeds and saw the little creature that Nathan was talking about buzzing around the bee balm.
I didn't take the picture below, but it is a great depiction of what we saw. Our bee balm is waning, just like in the picture below. Cool creature!
More about Lake Huron and Scout Camp coming later!
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Hummingbird Moth
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Really good picture!
ReplyDelete