We went swimming here yesterday:
Well, not really, but I half expected to see ice cubes go floating by. It was so darn COLD! I looked up the temperature here and found that the water we were swimming in was between 48 and 55 degrees. We didn't really spend too much time in the water, but Elijah did try out his new skim board.

Joseph too!

The area was absolutely gorgeous, maybe the prettiest we've seen this summer. Gorgeous turquoise water, a narrow band of white sand, small dunes covered with dune grass, backed by trees with pretty cottages.




New topic. One of the places I've been dying to see is an inland lake called Higgins Lake. My friend told me that's where her family used to vacation in the summer and she has fond memories. I started to research it and found that it had been called one of the six prettiest lakes in the world. You know how those words suck me in!!
Nathan and Joseph visited the lake in May and said it lived up to what had been said about it. They took pictures, but I just couldn't fully appreciate what they were telling me. They said the water is like Carribean turquoise blue, perfectly clear. It drops off suddenly some distance out from the beach and becomes a beautiful deep blue color.
Yesterday we decided to take the long way home and stop by. By the time we got there, it was too late to see because the sun wasn't in the right position. We walked out on this boat dock and saw how clear the water is.
Between these three photographs(below), I can begin to imagine in my mind what it will be like to see it for myself. When we go on our fall color tour, we will stop by Higgins Lake. I've found that it's really tricky to try to catch in my camera lens what I can see with my own eyes. Definitely an art and I admire photographers all the more for it!
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Ice Water
Labels:
beach,
family outings,
nature,
summer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That beautiful water reminds me of the waters off of Northern Okinawa. Actually, most of Okinawa (though not all the way around).
ReplyDeleteHonestly, no matter how great the photographer, no picture can capture the scent in the air, the crispness, the feel of the breeze - when you are by such a beautiful body of water.
I've loved all your beach photos and family outings. I've had to work so much this summer we never did head out to find the local beaches of this area of Eastern North Carolina. :o( But hopefully life will be a little more forgiving and co-operative next year.
So, how far is it for you to just head out to Higgins Lake? Do you really have to wait for the fall? Or will to get to squeeze it in before everyone gets to go back to school. Either way, the more places you mention the more I should make a list -- cool places I'll visit should I get to escape the coastal region and enjoy the great lakes!! :o)
I am so glad you made it to Higgins Lake! It is so beautiful. I loved it so much as a kid, that when Becca was 2, we started camping there every year. We have missed only a couple of years since she was born. (Like the year my brother died, that's when our trip was scheduled.) Even at 13 & 10, the kids still look forward to that camping trip.
ReplyDeleteI have loved reading your blogs about your beach trips. There has always been something spiritual for me at beaches. And since the beaches of Michigan our the beaches I visit the most, I feel a special connection with God there.
I am way behind on reading your blogs, but will try to catch up soon. Is that first picture Lake Superior?
Sue
Believe it or not, most of the time I have to alter the colors in my photographs to get them to match what I was actually seeing. It looks like a beautiful area though! I love the way you explore around Michigan and have grown to love it so much.
ReplyDelete