Saturday, August 9, 2008

Our Summer Reading

We've been reading good books as a family at night for a little while now. Everyone looks forward to this time. We don't hit it every night, but I do make a good effort. We've also gotten lots and lots of van time for books on CD. If you check out my Goodreads account, you can see some of the titles we have been reading (the categories are 'read-with-kids' and 'listened-to-with-kids').

But, about half-way through the summer, Elijah and I picked up this book at the library:



We read over half of the book, but his interest fizzled out, so we moved on to this one:


Then, I decided to read to May:


And to Nathan:


Sariah and Brigham still like picture books and the bigger kids love to read them to them. I am looking for something more chapter bookish to read to Sariah. For some reason that is more motivating to me right now. She really liked the BFG by Roald Dahl because it was fun and also had pictures. Does anyone have any other ideas?

3 comments:

  1. Magic Tree House? My Father's Dragon series? Melanie is loving the Fairy Haven books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ideas! I went to my library website and searched Roald Dahl. I was surprised to see how many books he has written that are illustrated by Quentin Blake. We may try a few more of his books. I should check out My Father's Dragon again for her. That's an excellent idea. No reason why we can't do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More Roald Dahl would be fun! My boys have especially enjoyed "James and the Giant Peach", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Matilda." (Although "Matilda" may be a little old for her.)

    ReplyDelete