Sunday, August 10, 2008

You are there, I am here


I started a 'Spiritual' blog for just a subject as this. I started it back in April and actually wrote some posts. Since that time, I have fallen into an abyss that is religious and spiritual in nature. It's not that I've lost my way entirely, it's just that I'm swirling around a little bit and working on a puzzle that's been in my life since I was a little kid. This puzzle involves trying to understand how pieces of the secular world fit together with the spiritual world.

I have topics that I'm willing to put on the shelf. I'll think, "This will be the first question I ask when I get to the other side." This topic is important enough to me that I'm willing to struggle over it. I'm willing to try to throw out some ideas that I accumulated over childhood to try to fit some pieces together. Interestingly, some of the ideas from childhood that I've held fiercely to, don't have any doctrinal significance (and certainly no worldly significance).

At some point I may discuss this topic on my blog, but for now it's too vulnerable an issue to me. Joseph has become my sounding board and does such a wonderful job at it!

At any rate, this and some other life circumstances have put some distance between me and God. To be fair, He hasn't gone anywhere, I have. I have retained the understanding of the importance of reading God's word, prayer and certain Sunday ritual, but I haven't always put those things to use in this difficult time. It seems an easy answer to just do those things and then other things will fall into place. I don't know if I'm lazy or if I'm just having a struggle with topics that are diverse (spiritual vs. secular). To compound the matter, there are very few non-biased speakers on this particular subject and the rift between the ideas seems so wide and so deep, I sometimes lose hope of being able to cross it. Bouncing back and forth between canyon walls that seem miles apart is dizzying and exhausting mentally.

In my mind, I become the heroine of a fantasy novel. I'm the one who has all the required gifts and knowledge to cross this large canyon and the well-being of my little kingdom depends on me to do it! In reality, that's laughable, but hey, I've been reading a lot of fantasy lately!

I should probably move on to the real topic of my post right about now. The spiritual ritual in question here is prayer. This is the one area I've put the most effort to be consistent. One night a couple of weeks ago, I lay in my bed and just couldn't seem to put words together for a prayer. I finally managed out the words, "You are there and I am here," and that was my prayer that night. At first, it seemed pretty weak to me. I thought about it again the other day and realized that it might actually have been a strength. The acknowledgment that God is in his heaven and I am still here struggling might have been the truest prayer that I have prayed in a long time.

P.S. If you want to comment and don't feel comfortable leaving it in the comments section, feel free to e-mail me.

4 comments:

  1. Because of our recent Google Chat I have to say I wasn't 'shocked' by your statements here. But, I am surprised overall. I know that sometimes our friends are sometimes the last to know when we are really struggling with something so important. I hope you find what you are looking for... my own fount is dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to your other blog and saw the "good at things but not fabulous at any one thing" post. I so feel like I'm in the same boat. But I haven't given up that I could become that fabulous... something. There are things I want to study and write about. Maybe your questions and study are part of getting you further, without realizing it. Keep holding on. The light will come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A year ago I would not necessarily relate well to this post, but today I do very much. That was one of the hardest, most baffling things that I faced a few weeks after Benjamin died. I felt like I had been forsaken. I could not feel anything. It was very strange, because for the first few days and weeks I had felt literally carried by Father in Heaven. Now all of a sudden He was gone. Since then I have gone through periods where my prayers are very real pleadings, and periods where I feel so angry and distant where I am afraid to pray, and if I do, it is a very shallow prayer.
    I think that sometimes we obey because we are immediately blessed, and sometimes we obey to prove our faith. You are proving your faith by continuing to pray even when it is not the experience you hope for. This post was a good reminder for me to open my heart and really share it with my Father when I pray. He created us. He knows us completely. We pray to bring our hearts in alignment with His will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cindi Lou - I look at you and immediately compare where you are to where I am. Funny that we do that isn't it? How come everyone else around us always seems as though they have more strength, or more faith? You have an astonishing amount of faith. Yet inside I'm sure you feel you don't. Amazing how we can see things like that in others, but not in ourselves.

    We should email. A little birdie whispered to me once that you and I have more in common that we could ever have guessed we would have. I suppose I've always just been to frightened to speak up. Thanks for offering to talk. I would like that very much.

    -A.

    ReplyDelete