Thursday, September 11, 2008

Bommarillu


When I was a student at BYU, I enjoyed going to the International Cinema and watching the subtitled movies. Occasionally, even now, I get the urge not just to watch a movie, but to read subtitles.

Joseph has been feeling some stress lately and asked if we could watch a movie together the other night. I went to the library to see what I could find. I picked up several. We watched an old movie on Tuesday night called "On the Waterfront," which we both enjoyed. Joseph picked that one out from the stack I brought home.

What's the good of a stack of DVD's, though, unless you watch them all? It was my turn to choose last night and I picked Bommarillu. It's an Indian film, though not Bollywood (from what I understand). We almost turned it off because it began and continued to be cheesy. But we kept on and watched the entire three hour film. The music and dancing were great fun and the storyline was great! A little view into (rich) Indian culture too.

Another subtitled movie recommendation: Children of Heaven. This one is from Iran. A very touching film.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so someone likes subtitled films.

    Half of the dialogue in this screenplay I've been writing is in Chinese and the film will have to be subtitled. Now I know that at least one family out there will rent the DVD and watch it.

    Just be sure to go see it at the theater too. about 900 times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation! I've added it to my list of movies to see. I love foreign films (as long as I can make sure one is 'safe' to watch :)).
    We loved "Children of Heaven"!
    A few of my favorite foreign films: "Ponette" (French), "Babette's Feast"(Danish), "The Road Home" (Chinese), "Life is Beautiful" (Italian), and Ingmar Bergman's "The Magic Flute" (Swedish).

    ReplyDelete