A few months ago, when I first began planning our trip to the Upper Peninsula (hereafter referred to as U.P.), I discovered a website that helped me immensely. The website was created from a book that lists hundreds and hundreds of attractions of all kinds in the U.P. with in-depth descriptions including history. Places to stay, restaurants, hikes in the woods, waterfalls, museums, unique shops...they're all in there.
I really want to buy this book, but as you can imagine, they have to update it from time to time. Businesses close and new ones open, things change. A new edition of the book was due this year, but it was delayed. It will be out in Spring 2009. While I'm waiting, I bought a fold out map created by the same authors that lists much of what is in the book in an abbreviated form. I pore over this fold out much like I imagine people from a century ago may have pored over a mail-order catalog. Where can I go? What can I see?
Today, when I picked it up, I saw a site I hadn't noticed before.
196. Paulding Mystery Light. Paranormal mecca with eerie nighttime glow.
4 mi. N of Watersmeet, just N of Time Zone sign, turn W onto Old 45. In 1/2 mi. turn onto Robbins Pond Rd. At top of 2nd hill, pull over.
I wondered what in the world it could mean, so I did a little internet research. What I found is here, here, and here. Very interesting and a little spooky too.
I asked Joseph what he thought of it and he just shrugged and said that he was sure there was a very logical explanation. I tend to buy into the (play a little spooky Halloween music in the background) supernatural a little more than he does. Still, though, there are some strange lights in Paulding, Michigan. They have been documented for over 40 years and the oral tales extend back about a hundred years. Many people have tried to figure out what's going on there and there isn't a concise conclusion. Whether it's something natural like glowing gases escaping from beneath the crust of the earth, something eerie like the ghost of a brakeman, or something explainable like a prank that has gone on night-after-night-all-night-long for a hundred years (not too explainable, eh?), it's pretty amazing. It makes me think of those intricate patterns found in corn fields. They probably have a logical explanation too, but they are still really cool.
I am so there next summer!
How's that for an inspirational Sunday post?
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Mystery Light
Labels:
cool stuff
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here are my 2 cents on supernatural: why not?
ReplyDeleteAnd it is because of this attitude that I do not watch scary movies, go to haunted sites, visit haunted houses, etc. etc. I'd like to see these lights for myself, but I'd probably get way too freaked out. :)