Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Off They GO!




Everyone looked superb and they all were excited for the first day of school, especially the littlest one! I cannot convince her to stay home with me for another year...

Nathan had a minor surgery last week and a lot of people asked if he was nervous beforehand. I didn't really notice him being nervous, but I would reply that I think he internalizes things a lot. (His surgery went marvelously well and he's doing fine!) This morning, I realized just how much my comment was about me.

I had this yucky anxiety feeling this morning while helping the kids get ready for their first day of school. It was really no big deal. We had bought a new set of clothes and shoes for each kid last week. We bought school supplies a couple of weeks ago. They already had backpacks and lunch boxes (Thanks to L.L. Bean. Those things last forever.) I got up early and even had clean laundry for myself. There was cereal and milk in the house. By all accounts, I should have been fine, but I wasn't. Truth be told, change is hard for me. I don't cry, I just agonize inside. Hey, wait a minute, this post isn't about me!!!

Today was an open house for Kindergarten and a half day for the rest. Our tradition is to go to lunch on the first and last day of school. Chili's. This will help us ease ourselves back into school after an adventurous and appointment-free summer!

P.S. Look at Sariah's face in the b & w picture. She really is that excited about school!

P.P.S. May is 9 and still wants to wear dresses and skirts to school. I love it!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the pictures. I can so relate to your feelings about sending the kids back. I always dread it, but try not to let them see that. (Except in a good way, like "I'm going to miss you.")
    What an awesome tradition! Maybe we'll have to start that one. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids have a whole day today and the last day of school! They were really excited to go today, except for Sam, he was both nervous and excited. :) It is very quiet with them gone. Thankfully, Carley is home for a week and a half before she starts. Then it is going to be really quiet! :) What will I do with myself??? (sarcastic)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I have no children who go to school, I still get that nervous anxiety every year when school starts for everyone else. It must be leftovers from childhood!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was quite sad this year as I sent the kids off. I don't know if it was more intense because they are starting at a new school this year, or if I am just more aware of how I am feeling.

    I do, however, like the imposed routine and structure that school provides, as I get tired of the lack of routine partway through summer.

    And I do enjoy some time by myself, now that they are both in school.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete