Sunday, September 14, 2008

A World Apart


Hands down, my favorite part of our upper peninsula vacation were the two spots we visited on Lake Superior with rock outcroppings. Presque Isle Park, Marquette AND Hunter's Point, Copper Harbor.

We picked up some take-out Tex-Mex one night (best taco salads we've ever eaten) and headed to Presque Isle Park. I had read that there were very old rocks exposed at this park, but didn't know what to expect. After we had eaten, we began to explore. We immediately came upon an inlet of water with a pebble beach, crystal clear water, and wildly red and green colored rocks. I had a feeling of instant happiness and any feelings that I might want to move away from Michigan to be near the ocean and marine biology evaporated completely. I'm pretty sure I never want to leave here. The feeling of happiness/joy was that strong for me.

Copper Harbor's outcroppings of rock were also dated back to possibly Pre-Cambrian times (the bedrock of basalt is exposed). We didn't know what we were seeing at the time and have since identified some fossils and types of rocks that we saw there.

These were both places I could never have dreamt up. Just incredible. I can't wait to go back!

Click here to see more pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Every time I read one of your posts like this I want to come visit. :)
    I'm happy that you are so glad to live there. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete