A few weeks ago, I decided that I had been wasting a lot of time. In the morning, there was the time after I dropped all the kids off at school until I got home again. In the afternoon, there was the time before I got to the school. I decided to fill this time with a book on CD of my own. I can't believe how much I enjoyed having a book of my own in the van!
I had been trying to check out some music of the famous Chinese pianist Lang Lang and accidentally got his memoir instead. I'm not sorry. It was wonderful! The dedication of both Lang Lang and his parents to his success is amazing. But, it also includes information about how difficult this was and how he suffered under the sometimes dictator-like style of his father. I cheered at his successes and felt sad when things didn't go well for him.
It was interesting to hear his perspectives on America and also his ideas about how East and West can meet. It left me wanting to see him play in person. Thank goodness for YouTube!
Now, I need to find something new to inspire me in my free, driving time!
Monday, October 6, 2008
Lang Lang: Playing with Flying Keys
Labels:
books,
inspiring people
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
THAT WAS SO TOTALLY AWESOME!!! Thank you thank you for posting that. I keep hearing Lang Lang's name, and I saw him play during the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics. I've been curious to learn more about him, and hear him play REAL stuff. Well, that video clip certainly showed some REAL STUFF. Woohoo!
ReplyDeleteWas the audio book read by him?
That was, as Michelle said, totally awesome. I haven't kept up with the new performers, so it was fun for me. That Chinese piece was intriguing because I didn't know there were Chinese composers writing in the western style. Silly me.
ReplyDelete