Thursday, November 20, 2008

One Memory

You must know that there is nothing higher, or stronger, or sounder, or more useful afterwards in life than some good memory, especially a memory from childhood, from the parental home. You hear a lot said about your education, yet some such beautiful, sacred memory, preserved from childhood, is perhaps the best education. If a man stores up such memories to take into life, then he is saved for his whole life. And even if only one good memory remains with us in our hearts, that alone may serve one day for our salvation...and keep [us] from great evil.

-----Alyosha Karamazov, The Brothers Karamazov


Somehow this stuck out to me when I read it today (quoted in another text). What would my memory be? Do you have one such memory?

2 comments:

  1. Sprinting down the street to catch a football thrown by Dad. Never got to do it n a game, but it was sure fun on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember learning how to read by sounding out words on a funny ceramic plaque on our wall. "I Want a Te-m-ple . . . "
    My mom filled in "Marriage." I asked her what that was, and I still remember how I felt when she told me.
    It was a familiar feeling, like I knew that I had always wanted that.
    It was also a secure feeling, like, yes, that is what I will be sure to have.
    Hard to explain, exactly, but I love the feelings just thinking about that memory recalls.

    ReplyDelete