Friday, December 12, 2008

Hey, Check This Out!

Here's a little story about life. I figure it belongs as a Christmas story in December because that's about when it started last year.

Actually, it started last July when Kristen and her family moved away. Even though we'd only known them for about six months, the whole family became our best friends. Like us, they had five kids, but what was even more remarkable was that the kids were roughly the same ages and sexes so everyone had someone to play with. Kristen and I were a lot alike and Joseph and Rob had a lot in common. We all enjoyed each other. But, then life barged in and took them away from us and they live about 2000 miles away.

That experience totally spoiled me. I wanted another family that just matched ours at our doorstep. It isn't in the cards at the moment. Now for my story which led to an a-ha moment for me.

Last December I was reading my brother's blog. He often writes very thought provoking posts and so I have to check out the comments when I read his posts. In the comments section, I saw that someone named Marni had left a post. I didn't know who she was, so with a mystery to solve, I clicked on the link that took me to her blog. I couldn't figure out what the connection was, so I just settled down to read some of her posts. This was one of the first I read (coincidentally, a Christmas post).

I returned to her blog a few times. Once, reading a post about Google Analytics, I noticed that my brother had made a comment. The funny thing was that by that time I had forgotten that I had originally found her blog through my brother's. Now this really was a mystery!

I think I left a comment on her blog and she visited my blog and left a comment. I guess that's history. Here's the A-HA moment: Hundred's of e-mails between Marni and I later, I've realized that even though I might not have a friend at my doorstep, it's o.k. I have a friend. One who understands my life pretty well. One who has inspired me to continue reading aloud to my kids. One who has led me to think more about my own education and, more importantly, spirituality.

In many ways, life has not delivered the neat little packages that I think I would like to have. Thank goodness that the possibilities aren't limited to the conceptions of my mind!

P.S. Marni and her husband (who is actually great friends with my brother and thus the connection) have five kids. If I could only find a way to get the kids together!!!

P.P.S. If you read the top post on Marni's blog, she talks a lot about libraries and books. I second that post!

2 comments:

  1. I loved your post Cindi. I love making friends thru this thing called the internet. I have some really fun relationships with people I've never met face to face. Some how people have a way of putting life into us in ways we never knew. I'm sorry your "family" moved away. I know how it feels. I am grateful to have connections with so many...but for some reason...having some one down the road feels so much more comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, wasn't this a surprise to sit down to. :) I for one am very glad you decided to sleuth out who was reading Todd's blog. You've certainly helped me reach for greater heights as well. "Seven years would be insufficient to make some people acquainted with each other, and seven days are more than enough for others." Or, hundreds of e-mails. :)

    ReplyDelete