On the 19th of December, Cindi and I celebrated our sixteenth anniversary! What that means in, practical terms, is that Cindi has exercised extraordinary patience for an extraordinary amount of time! I was lucky to have attracted Cindi's love nearly 17 years ago, and even more fortunate to still have it 17 years later.
This sends my memory back to my earlier years. As a teenager, I worked for a local caterer and wedding reception hall. I did a lot of wedding receptions. One ritual always grabbed my attention: the mutual feeding of wedding cake by the bride and groom. What happened there seemed to say a lot about a couple. Sometimes it was a gentle and caring affair. Other times it was playful. Other times it was downright mean. Sometimes there was no trickery. Others, there was a playful shoving of the cake into the new spouse's mouth. Others, one spouse waited to take a good bite, and then smeared the cake s/he was holding all over the other's face. Other times, it was all out war!
I promised myself that when I got married, I would not smear cake in my bride's face. That was a little promise. Looking back, I think I could have made many more little promises that would have helped!
At any rate, at our wedding reception, ours was a respectful mutual wedding cake feeding.
So, just imagine my surprise when...
Oh, victimhood!
Cindi, in a completely unprovoked attack, smeared coconut cream pie filling on my face! Having escaped the villainy at first, I was lulled into a false sense of security by querulous pleadings of "You can trust me, can't you?"
Gullible, you say?
Well, not completely. I did have enough foresight to remove my glasses!
Dear Cindi, I am so glad you and I can play!
Friday, December 26, 2008
The Whipped-Cream Incident (Joseph's Perspective)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My grandma had been in the wedding business for years when I got married. I had been lectured for about as long about cake fights. Grandma always said she could tell how well the couple would last depending on the cake ceremony. She said she'd been to some where cake was all over the bride's dress, hair, everything that she wanted to just grab her present and walk out of. Jamie and I went to a reception of one of his mission comps that was like that... they were divorced within a year or two.
ReplyDeleteNeedless to say, we were both very polite. Grandma made my dress, and Grandma was watching. :)
Brady and I had a very long conversation before our wedding about how the cake ceremony would go. I knew that I would be mad if it got smashed into my face. My only regret 4 years later is that I only got a small tast of the beautiful cake!!
ReplyDelete