On Tuesday, Brigham and I went to the zoo. Our zoo is only three miles from our house, so it made for a pleasant walk on an almost perfect Spring day.
As we got to the zoo, I got such an excited feeling. It has been a while since I've been to the zoo and I was happy about experiencing it with Brigham.
We got through the gates and checked out the aquariums. Brigham peeked into each one and said, "O.k., let's go!" The next stop was Arctic Foxes. I can't remember seeing them at this zoo before. One of them was lounging inside a large hollow log and the other one was digging a hole under the log. THIS, was going to be good! I looked over at Brigham who was puzzling out the sign hanging on the fence next to the exhibit (see coordinating sidebar story).
"What does this say, Mom?"
"It says 'Do not feed the animals.' Look Brigham, what is that silly fox doing? Look! He has dirt all over his face."
"What does this sign say, again?"
"Brigham, are you here to see the animals or the signs."
"The signs."
So, that was pretty much how our visit to the zoo went. Sometimes, like if there were five piglets nursing rabidly on their mother, he'd stop and watch for 30 seconds. Most of the time, though, he would just look in the cage and then want to move on.
What was the exception? The signs of course (Do not feed the animals, various animal names, no smoking, designated smoking area, etc. etc.) Another exception, you ask? Yes. There was one more. Birds!!!! Looks like you have done your job well, Nathan!!! Brigham could not get enough of our feathered friends.
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
What's important, really??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for taking him to the zoo, even if it was for the birds (and signs!)
ReplyDeleteYou are doing a great job with the kids!
LOL, how sweet.
ReplyDeleteI remember a Family Circus cartoon of them at the zoo with the kids all huddled around some ants.
P.S. What a beautiful thought, taking a little one to the zoo all by yourself. It would be so fun to do that. Or even just the little ones. Not that it isn't great to have the big ones around to help. But really, how sweet!
ReplyDeleteThat reminds me of the last time I took Brielle to the Potter Park Zoo and she was just interested in the rocks, sticks, leaves...not so much the animals. I love that zoo, that it is close, not too big, and not too expensive! Did you walk all the way there from home?
ReplyDeleteSounds like Cole at the zoo in Battle Creek he was all for the train and the slide and the stroller.(such exotic animals)!
ReplyDelete