Sunday, June 17, 2012

Some really cool things we've seen lately

Nathan has got us looking closely at plants, uncurling leaves, learning about which plants and trees host which larval species etc.  He has found some cool things while searching and the rest of us occasionally find some great stuff too.  We don't always know what they are and Google searches have proved fruitless, but here you go:

Baltimore Checkerspot--uncommon, but we are lucky to have a population at Fenner


Monarch caterpillars.  We started with a healthy crop of these and figure that most of them got parasitized.

Tulip tree flower.  This is a beautiful tree and flower.  I had never seen it before.

We have no idea what this pupal case holds.  We kept it, but the critter broke out and escaped before we were able to see what it was.

Question Mark caterpillar found on an Elm.

?? tiny moth species found on the white sheet at Family Weekend.


I don't have a  picture of the coolest thing we found recently.  Its a tiny cone shape made up of different lengths of grass, cemented to a leaf or rock.  Nathan broke one open and found eggs inside.  We don't know what kind.

1 comment:

  1. Your camera does sucha great job with these close up pictures. I love them. I need to start paying attention more when we are on our hikes. I'm sure we are missing so much of this beautiful stuff.

    ReplyDelete