Saturday, September 8, 2012

Home from camping and launched the new school year!

We finally got to see clouds reflected in the "Lake of the Clouds."  What you cannot see in the picture is the Common Loon and pair of Trumpeter Swans down on the lake.  We were also treated to a pair of Kestrals in flight together along our hike on the Escarpment Trail of the Porcupine Mountains.


I started my five weeks of tent camping thinking, "Why am I doing this?  Who does this kind of thing?"  As time wore on, we got into a groove and it became easier.  I hit a wall at about the fourth week, but I'm so happy that we stayed on (though Joseph said he was willing to come home) because the hiking was so great that last week and the weather, very welcoming.  Overall, I would say that our trip was beyond successful.  We all hiked about 115 miles, swam at many beaches, enjoyed the quiet and seclusion, and saw lots of birds and other wildlife.

We made some decisions about camping next year.  I do believe we will do the Lake Superior Circle Tour.  Brigham really wants to go to Canada.  I think I'm game for the adventure and have started outlining plans for that.  We also found a new campsite that we want to try.  It's called "Widewaters."  It's in the middle of Hiawatha National Forest and near a swelling of the Indian River.  We decided that it would provide the kind of quiet we adore and that we will rent kayaks for the week and spend a lot of time on the water.  This will be a new experience for us.

Starting school was terribly anticlimactic.  I'm sure we'll all get used to it, but I was not ready to start getting up early, preparing lunches and spending 2-3 hours in the van every day.  Boo!  Poor me!  The kids have adjusted pretty well.  And...the best part...I get to go back to the U.P. for a backpacking trip with Elijah this coming Wednesday.  Now, I just need to shake off the horrible cold I got last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment