Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What to do on a snow day? Watch NOVA!

Sariah and Brigham wore their clothes inside out and backward on Sunday night.  I convinced Sariah not to put three licked spoons under her pillow.  This is because I recently had to buy new spoons because all but two of ours had disappeared.

I'm not superstitious or anything, but what happened next was nearly a miracle.  It snowed 2-3 inches and then it rained.  It was an ice storm.  It wasn't serious enough to weigh down the power lines and snap them or even to break the branches of trees, but at about 5:23 in the morning, I got a call from the East Lansing School Superintendent saying that school was cancelled due to inclement weather.

Now, Mondays are my days to try to get the house back in order after having it filled all weekend with people.  They are also my days to be in the quiet if possible and put myself back in order! :)  But, the kids stayed home, so I made the most of it. First, I slept in a bit to make up for not being able to get to sleep the night before.  Then I got up and started crocheting while listening to Skeptoid podcasts.  Those weren't keeping my attention like they have in the past, so I popped a NOVA DVD into the computer that I had recently checked out from the library.  It was on Flight 111, an airplane that crashed killing all people on board in 1998.

After that, I made french toast for lunch.  I know, weird lunch!

I decided that since it had been a while since I'd been working on this afghan that we could just make an afternoon of NOVA.  I let each person have a turn picking which title they wanted.  First, I chose one on Neanderthals.  Elijah was next and picked on that fit his interests to a T.  It was titled, "Why Ships Sink."  May chose a title about an area on Colorado where many fossils were found.  There were mammoths and mastadons, huge sloths etc.  They delved into why so many animals died there.  Nathan chose one called, "The Mystery of Easter Island," which was about trying to figure out how the Easter Islanders of old moved those giant stone figures around the island.  Brigham picked "Secrets of the Sun," which was quite fascinating, but not as much as Brigham had hoped.  Sariah was next with "Secrets of the Viking Sword."  It was amazing to watch as a sword was made to copy those that have been found in Viking ruins.  Finally,  though it was past eight, I let Elijah choose again.  This time he picked one about the deadly earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

We watched a total of eight episodes yesterday.  Results:  NOVA marathons are almost as fun as Mythbuster marathons.  Not really, but considering that there are no more Mythbuster episodes for them to watch, this will have to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment