Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Starting your wildflowers in the winter

A few weeks ago, Nathan attended a Winter seed sowing workshop at the nature center (Fenner).  I was worried that we were going to have build a pricey piece of equipment to do this.  As it turns out, all you need is milk jugs, cheap soil and seeds.

At the workshop, the seeds were provided for those at the workshop from the native gardens around Fenner.  They were quite productive this year and have provided seeds for quite a few activities.


What Nathan brought home looks a little like the above picture. The jugs are taped back together after the soil is put inside and seeds sprinkled on top of the soil.  As it turns out, nature designed seeds to "work their way down" to the depth they need to be in the soil so that they grow best.  Imagine that!  This happens naturally over time as fall and winter progress.  Then as it begins to warm up, growth also begins.



Nathan also cut slits in the bottom of the jug.  That night, he put all of his jugs into the tub with about an inch and a half of water.  This allowed the soil to soak up water, but didn't disturb the seeds sitting on top of the soil.  After that, all we had to do was to move them all outside and begin waiting for nature to work her magic!

I had purchased some native flower seeds for Sariah's birthday party.  I used some of them to make milkweed seed paper bookmarks for the kids to plant in the Spring.  Only problem was that tonight when Nathan wanted to use the rest to make some more "greenhouses," I couldn't find them.  I had to order some more, since we are determined to start our native plant gardening this year.  He also has some sumac seeds and juniper berries he'd like to start.  

We don't have the plans laid out for our yard yet, but I'm very excited to get more native plants in our yard to support the native insects and other wildlife!

No comments:

Post a Comment