Sunday, February 17, 2013

Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup & Breadsticks

My sister, Jodi, told me about this slow cooker recipe.  I finally had all of the ingredients in my house last week and made it.  This soup is so yummy, you might just want to drink it until you are full.  I plan to make it again very soon (still have all the ingredients around!)


Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice (I used fresh Roma Tomatoes with about a cup of water)
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup diced onions
1 tsp dried oregano
4 tsp dried basil
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 bay leaf
1/2 cup flour
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 cups of Half and Half, warmed
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil and bay leaf to a large slow cooker.

Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft (you could also  cook it on high for 2-3 hours, or you could cook it on the stove top).  Add all the vegetables to the blender and blend until smooth.  If you prefer a chunkier texture, you can leave as is or even blend just some of it.  Return blended vegetables back to the slow cooker.

About 30 minutes before serving, prepare roux.  Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour.  Stir roux constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes.  slowly whisk in 1 cup of hot soup.  At 3 more cups soup and stir until smooth.  Add all back into the slow cooker.  Stir and add the cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper.

Cover and cook on low for another 30 minutes or so until ready to serve.


Then yesterday, Jodi and I got to talking about Olive Garden's breadsticks.  She told me that they always order theirs with Alfredo Sauce.  Their server on Valentine's Day told them to dip it in the alfredo and also gave them a plate of grated Parmesan cheese to dip in after the alfredo.  I said that maybe I'd make it to try it out.  I don't know if my breadsticks can compare with Olive Garden's, but they are pretty good!  And, I think they would go really well with the Tomato Basil Parmesan soup.


Bread Sticks

1 Tbsp. dry yeast
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. malted milk powder (I've never owned any and use an extra Tbsp. honey)
4 to 4 1/2 cups unsifted flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup melted butter
garlic powder, cheese (opt.)

Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Stir in honey and salt.  Add flour gradually till dough forms a ball.  Turn onto floured board and knead lightly.  Divide dough into 12 pieces and shape each one into a long thing rope, 12-16 inches long.

Arrange sticks lengthwise on one long greased baking sheet.  Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with desired topping (garlic powder, shredded cheese, parmesan cheese).  Allow to rise 15-30 minutes.  Bake at 400 degrees about 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting, Now it need your recipe for alfredo sauce.

    ReplyDelete