Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Birders' Spring

If you are a birder, you have a different idea of Spring than the non-birders.  Actually, most nature lovers probably have a slightly different notion of the start of Spring.

Our Spring started in the end of February when we were hearing rumors of Turkey Vultures.  Slightly after that, we saw a tree full of roosting American Robins while we were in Oakland County attending our Stewardship class (Nathan and I).  Now, during the last two weeks we have had a White-throated Sparrow in our yard, seen Turkey Vultures, had a Robin in our pine tree today, began to see and hear Red-winged Blackbirds and seen Killdeer in the fields near MSU.  It's most definitely Spring.  While there may be other birds coming through soon, we eagerly await the songs of the Spring Peepers from vernal pools and marshes.

This morning, after I took the kids to school, I was sitting at the computer and noticed a sparrow that didn't look like a villain, fatty House Sparrow.  Indeed, it was a Song Sparrow.  Nice little visitor that found the pounds of uneaten millet spread throughout the winter, but now visible since the disappearance of the snow.

image from allaboutbirds.org

I read an email from our friend John Sawvel who told me that he had had a Fox Sparrow in his yard yesterday.  I was a little jealous since we've never had one in our yard and they are such pretty birds.  Then, this evening, Nathan was busy counting over 40 cardinals for "Cardinal Time" and I said, "Hey, there's another Song Sparrow in the Bird Corner!"  I grabbed Nathan's binoculars and saw some rusty-colored sides and said, "I think it's a Fox Sparrow."  Nathan said it couldn't be since Fox Sparrows are so big.  But, I was happily surprised when he took the binocs and verified my identification.  It was a Fox Sparrow.

image from allaboutbirds.org


If you've ever watched sparrows (besides Fatty House Sparrows), you know that they do this cute little jump forward and then back to expose seeds on the ground.  Nathan described this Fox Sparrow as an Eastern Towhee on steroids (apparently the Towhee does a nice sturdy jump forward and back).

Then, extra pleasure for us, the Fox Sparrow decided to roost for the night in our very own Bird Corner.

What a great Spring day! even though it's not officially Spring and the high temp was 32 degrees! :)

1 comment:

  1. awesome! Fox Sparrow IS beautiful. I have been curious to know how your house sparrow trap is working for you? And how you euthanize its victims? The FHS's here are driving us CRAZY. We have discussed all kinds of ideas for dealing with them: bb gun, potato gun, water balloons. . . .haha! :)

    ReplyDelete