Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I'm really really good at something!

From a very young age, I remember looking around me at people who excelled at things and felt that I was less than.  I was average at ballet, average at gymnastics, average at the piano (despite being told that I was talented), average at singing.  Never mind that I was actually very privileged to be able to do all of these things.  I think I was allowed more activities than most of my siblings.  I had no idea that I was spoiled and that to be more than average, you have to put in lots of time and practice.  Good thing I've learned that since then and have told my kids what they have to do to be more than average (while I still go along my average way).

But, wait!  Don't go away yet.  Guess what?  I'm actually not average at one particular thing.  I'm a great mom-taxi driver.  I have been practicing over the years and just today, I drove what I think might be a record: 130 miles.  This is all around town driving.  Driving to and from schools.  Driving to and from choir.  Driving to choir director interviews. Driving to a Wild Ones meeting.  It's so great.  I can partially hydroplane and still keep us all safe.  I can turn on autopilot and make the same mistakes every day (forgetting where the road construction is) and still get people to school nearly on time.  I can read brochures and drive at the same time!  NOPE!  Not that one because Brigham asked me how I could possibly drive and read at the same time.  Oops!  I told him I couldn't and promptly put the brochure away...

This is going the wrong direction now.  I really am very good at this driving around thing and I'm proud of it!  My skills will take me to places I never dreamed I would go!

3 comments:

  1. Funny, you are. But I agree you are a very good taxi driver! You are also a very good friend and sister and have many more talents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I recall you were very, very good at lots of things. Winning several awards. You graduated from high school in three years. No easy feat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that is very kind of you, Dad. I think we are all hardest on our own selves. This post was meant to be at least a little silly! :)

    ReplyDelete