We got an email earlier this week from Jen Owen who is a professor at MSU in Fisheries and Wildlife. She said that they were inviting the public to a bird banding this weekend. I knew right away that Nathan would want to go no matter what. I wasn't sure if May would want to go.
Last night before bed, May was saying that she would just decide in the morning. I told her no way, that if she left it until the morning she'd definitely decide to stay in bed. It was great when right before going to bed, she came to me to say that she planned to go.
They ended up being able to help take birds out of the net and hold them to release them. Cardinal, Tufted Titmouse, Indigo Bunting, Chickadee, Scarlet Tanager, Red-eyed Vireo, Common Yellowthroat and a super cool Mourning Warbler.
Nathan has pictures of both the Cardinal and the Titmouse biting his hand. Apparently a Pileated Woodpecker (a woodpecker as big as a duck) was netted yesterday and gave one of the banders a puncture wound.
So, the title of my post is "Gratifying," here's why. When I asked Nathan if he'd go on Monday if they are invited to volunteer again he said yes. That's a no brainer. What I didn't expect is that when I asked May if she'd go back, she said she would. Let's just put it this way, May loves birds, but she also likes to sleep in on the weekends.
That's how cool birds are!
Saturday, May 25, 2013
Gratifying
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
She must be really excited about it to be willing to give up sleep. It doesn't happen that often for me, that's for sure!
ReplyDelete