Saturday, January 26, 2008

Freeware


My brother wrote this cool post a while ago about all of the software that you can get for free on the internet. Computers are what he does. He's the IT man at LDS Business College in Salt Lake City. He spends a lot of his time installing software, so it was interesting to me that he said that we don't need to BUY software to do many things. Unfortunately, the post he wrote where he detailed out some really cool freeware is dead with his old blog.

I, myself, haven't spent a lot of time searching. I'd like to be able to do a little more with my photos. I never got into scrapbooking, so I don't see myself digital scrapbooking, but I might surprise myself. My sister, Jodi, is putting pressure on me to try it out. I found a link to a program that lets me do a little more than Google's Picasa. It can be found at www.picnik.com. It's free unless you want the upgrade.

Jodi also found this cool paint program for kids. She had been looking for something to buy for her son and came across this Freeware. We tried it out and we love it.

A little story. Yesterday morning, while we were on the way to school, Sariah told me that she wanted to paint when we got back home. I took some deep breaths and decided that I would let her paint, imagining finger paints, water colors, etc. I was sitting here blogging and she came saying she had finished her jobs, could she please paint? I asked what kind of paint she wanted and she pointed to the computer. Great stuff! It can be found at:

www.tuxpaint.org

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links! You are becoming almost as tech-savvy as Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that my anxiety level goes WAY up as soon as one of the kids even mentions that they want to do ANY kind of project, much less PAINT! I'm downloading the tux paint now so hopefully I won't have to eat so much chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNEW I should have taken pictures this morning! My girls love to paint. Carolyn just went at getting ready all on her own, and for whatever reason needed to of the little trays of watercolors. I put a few drips of water in them before bringing them to the table, Carolyn puts a bit more (as carefully as a 3 year old can be). She almost made it to the table with the first, just dripped a bit across Sammy's pant leg and the floor right by the table. I didn't know she was going for the second until Adam got after her. I turned and there was this lovely rainbow colored drippy trail from the sink to the table. Not to mention her tipping over the gray paint water a bit later. But I still don't mind, they create some fun things!

    ReplyDelete