I am the aforementioned "shredder." Me, when the word shredder is in quotes. The machine when it's not in quotes.
Have you ever said or thought, "Where on earth does all this dust come from?" Well, I made bunches of it today! Clouds of it puffed up from the shreds of paper when I open the shredder to dump it out.
I have 18 years of records to dispose of here. We are not talking about a little shredding here. I have:
1) Three small plastic files full
2) One 2-drawer metal file full
3) One computer desk file drawer full
4) Two cabinet drawers full
My shredder has a little note inside that says "2 Min On/4 Min Off" and it's serious. I've already tested it twice today and the thing shuts off and doesn't come back on again until it's feeling better. Chocolate does not change the emotional state of a shredder, but maybe a "shredder."
This job is more stressful than I thought. I've eaten the two candy bars that Joseph bought me last night, plus the one he bought himself, PLUS more than half a bag of licorice (embarrassing to admit)...I'm seeing my whole life flash by my eyes (not sure if it's the food or the files). And I live under the constant anxiety that I'll shred something that shouldn't have been shredded! It's eating me up!
I wonder why I have retained 18 years of records. The thought occurred to me that I was trying to make sure that there was a record of my existence, not consciously, of course. No one could deny I existed if they saw all my vehicle loan papers, canceled checks, bank statements, etc. from the last 18 years. I'll keep you updated! It's going to take DAYS to finish all of this!
Friday, January 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So did you really TRY to feed it chocolate? I mean, if you just ate it in its presence I hardly consider that a true trial. And how is anyone supposed to get any real work done with that kind of schedule? 2 on, 4 off?
ReplyDeleteYeah, 2 on 4 off, that's gotta be difficult to deal with! You mentioned once that you found an article that tells you what you should shred and what to keep. Can you forward that to me? I have kept SOOOO much and know I don't need it all. But we don't have a shredder so I've always been afraid to dispose of it.
ReplyDeleteBut think of all that extra space that will be free when all the documents are gone!