Thursday, January 10, 2008

Reading and thinking

I've been trying to get on here and write about some of the things I've been reading and thinking lately. I get writer's block as soon as the empty blog screen shows up!

First off, I'm more interested in politics than I've ever been. Joseph has always listened to the news and what's more he retains it for years and years. Previously, when I wanted to know about politics, I would just drill him and he can almost always answer the questions I have, about most any topic (he's got a brilliant mind). I have a few dear friends who have challenged my political thinking over the last few years and I've been pushed out of my box. My brother is also very active in thinking about the political system and writes a good deal on his blog about it. I'm very much confused (maybe that's how it's meant to be in this bipartisan system!) and there are issues where I'm not making any headway in making conclusions for myself. I had already decided my positions on some of these issues, but, I'm starting over.

All of this thinking has led me to the Middle East to ponder about what has gone on there and what is going on there. Some months ago, my friend Kristen, recommended a book called "Inside the Kingdom: My Life in Saudi Arabia" by Carmen bin Ladin. (As a side note, if you look up this book, you will see the picture of Carmen bin Ladin on the front of it. I believe I have found the person whose look Michael Jackson has tried to imitate!) She is the sister-in-law to Osama bin Ladin! But the bin Ladin family is very large and though Carmen does have comments about Osama bin Ladin, she was not close with him. In her book, she gives detail about life in Saudi Arabia, particularly for women. The author also gives background to the government and it's workings.

In addition to politics, I've always been interested in religion. More so, since we moved to Michigan, and have been exposed to a much wider variety of people. I decided to read "The Faith Club: A Muslim, A Christian, and a Jew--Three Women Search for Understanding." Ranya Idliby, a Muslim, wondered how she and her family would survive with the stereotypes given to those of her faith after the terrorist attacks of 9/11. She decided that she'd like to write a children's book which talks about similarities between the three main monotheistic religions. Suzanne Oliver (a Christian) and Priscilla Warner (a Jew) joined her in the project. They got together regularly to discuss and prepare their book. In the process, they did a lot of soul searching on their own and a lot of honest asking and answering in their group meetings. They decided to publish a book based on that experience. And thus, The Faith Club. I learned a lot that I didn't know and felt very challenged and stretched as I read. I wrote to the authors to ask where they were in the process of writing their children's book. They are hoping to publish soon. In the mean time they referred me to a picture book called "Jerusalem Sky: Stars, Crosses, and Crescents" by Mark Podwal. I loved this book and so did my kids. With this as a spring board, we plan to study religion this year in our home. I'm really excited about it! We're hoping to learn about and celebrate different religions holidays just to gain understanding of different people.

"The Faith Club" also included a lot about the politics surrounding Israel, because the area is so important for all three religions. Hearing the story from the different perspectives really opened up my mind. Upon finishing that book, I have a desire to study more about religion and history in that area to gain a greater understanding. It was interesting to watch a PBS special the other night called "Walking the Bible" in which Bruce Feiler (I believe he is Jewish) is traveling the area where the Bible is believed to have taken place. You can check it out here:

http://www.pbs.org/walkingthebible/

Have you ever watched "Gandhi?" I remember watching it as a teenager. I watched it a few years ago and then again in the last week. He was an incredible, brilliant man. I plan to watch this movie again and again, just to remind myself of what we are capable of both good and bad. Gandhi dressed and lived like his people while staging a non-violent revolution against the British government. I was again amazed at his intelligence as I watched this last week. This will help me in my quest for truth and knowledge.

Now, I'm reading about Iran. The book is called "Iran Awakening: Memoir of Revolution and Hope." The author is a lady named, Shirin Ebadi who was a judge in Iran before the 1979 Islamic Revolution. I've only read about a quarter of it and I'm eagerly awaiting my night-time reading time!

This post is somewhat disjointed and long, like my thoughts have been...

P.S. Here's a blog I came across that I like to read for an insider view of the war:

http://jeffreydenning.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Interesting stuff...thanks for sharing! I have never watched Gandhi. It is a movie that's always kinda been on the back of my mind to watch but I've never taken the time to check it out. I'll have to look into it...
    We have a lot of religious diversity here in New Jersey. I've never lived anywhere with so many Jewish people, too. My kids know WAY more about Hanukkah than I ever have because they are exposed to it at school. At Christmas, we had a Christmas tree in one front window and in the other window was a big picture of a menorah that Peter made at school! My kids know the dreidel song and even know how to play the game.
    I'm interested in reading some of the books you posted, too. So thanks for "reading and thinking"!

    ReplyDelete