When I was studying in Monterey, California at Stanford's Hopkins Marine Station, I would often walk the two miles to and from the station. On the corners of the streets, they have these interesting traffic lights that are low to the ground. The "stop" light is especially large and has a round, black encasement big enough for a small bird to build it's nest within.
It was due to this that I developed an enormous dislike for birds. The first time "it" happened, I was stunned. I was just walking home, minding my own business, when suddenly I was pecked on the head. It hurt, too! I imagine I looked pretty funny flailing my arms and running away from my bird attacker. The next day, I had learned my lesson and went to the other side of the street. This bird was unswerved from it's plan to annihilate me and got me again. I believe, after that, I chose a new route entirely.
So I officially hated birds. Then a few years later a guest speaker came to speak to the BYU Zoology Department from Minnesota. Her specialty was, you guessed it, ornithology. She talked about how cold it is in MN and that birds roosting at night can burn up to 40 percent of their body fat. Even if it is below zero during the day, they must go out and forage for food or they will die. I could hear the violins playing!
I have relented my hatred for birds. I love to hear the sound of the hundreds of crows that sometimes visit us and sit in our trees. I have vowed to take their picture if they will just come and visit me. The other day I couldn't see the crows, but I could hear them and took this video.
And, I even hang bird feeders in my front yard for the various, finches, chickadees, woodpeckers and other birds to visit on COLD winter days! I also leave all my dead plants in place for the winter so that the birds will have materials for their nests in the Spring.
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Feed the Birds
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment