Saturday, February 9, 2008

Jump!

Last night we were fortunate to have viewed a new-ish film at the Children's Film Festival, called "Jump!"

I was disappointed at first because the way it was billed led me to believe that we were going to view the actual jump rope show. But, as another patron pointed out, "it is a film festival." We were privileged to have Chris Brown present, who is competitive jumper. Even considering May's participation in her school's jump rope team, I never would have imagined the incredible sport that I saw for the first time last night.

Chris Brown (college age) and his younger companion (from the team he coaches in Brighton, MI) did demonstrate some of what they do, before the film started. I took videos with my outdated digital camera, so they aren't the best quality, but are still fun to watch.

The "Jump!" film we watched after their demonstration was put together well and was extremely motivating. It will come out on DVD sometime soon. I definitely want to see it again.

Here's the website, if you want to look it up:

http://www.jumpmovie.com

Here are the videos I took:






Here's a YouTube video of a team speed dance:



And another of a single freestyler:



Another inspiring film you might enjoy, which is in the same vein as "Jump!", is called "Mad, Hot Ballroom." It's about middle schoolers who learn ballroom dance and then compete. These type of films are motivators that teach kids that they can reach their dreams. Dream on, Dream away!

No comments:

Post a Comment