Friday, February 8, 2008

What Packable Snow Can Produce






I cannot believe how exhausted I am from building a snowman. Well, I also started a pile of snow for a snow fort, having been inspired by Heidi's post yesterday.

It's been a while since I helped build a snowman. A few years ago, Joseph and I stole out one night after the kids were all tucked into bed to recreate a scene from Calvin and Hobbes I was secretly hoping to play up Nathan's magical thinking stage at the time and make him believe that there really were Snow Goons--stranger things have happened--when he asked me where the tooth fairy lived I told him that she lived on a mountain of teeth in the Himalayas. I told him I would prove it by doing a Google search. You can prove anything to a 6-7 year old with a Google search. I showed him how many hits we had for the three words: Himalayas, tooth, and fairy. I had him convinced, without visiting the sites listed, which would have surely been my downfall.

Back to Calvin and Hobbes. If you haven't read "Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons, " it's a must. Beyond hilarious, it will make your sides hurt. Joseph and I built lots of mini snowmen. Some were two headed, or "deranged" in other ways. It was a blast!

Comics are considered an o.k. reading source for kids (therefore, adults!), according to "The Read-Aloud Handbook," so plunge on in!

No comments:

Post a Comment