Thursday, March 20, 2008

My Many Scattered Ways

I'm avoiding what I really need to do, grasping at straws, just to sit here in "Bloggyland."

First off, my breakfast. Meijer sells these giant 18 pound bags of grapefruit all winter long for $6.99. I think it's a pretty good deal since most of us love it. I can't tell you how many of these I've cut up over the past few months, but I rarely cut them for myself. Usually it's my thoughtful husband who cuts them for me. I actually cut two for myself today:


Notice my all-purpose steak knife. I use steak knives for everything and I've had more than one person comment that it's a little weird. But, I have to say, you butcher knife wielding people scare me (you know who you are!).

I'm excited today because there's a lady who works with my husband who just had her first baby. The office is having a little luncheon for her. I don't know many of the people Joseph works with, but she's my favorite because whenever I send in sweets to the office she sends a thank-you and asks for the recipe. What better compliment? I decided to give her our favorite baby book. The words are by Dr. Seuss and the paintings are by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher. This is not a typical Seuss. It's called "My Many Colored Days." It's about a kid who has lots of different moods and Dr. Seuss expresses these moods with color. It's great and embraces the fact that we all feel different at different times and it's o.k. I also ordered a baby bracelet from my friend Marni. It is so adorable, so tiny. I love it and I hope the mom loves it too. If you ever need baby jewelry, check out Marni's website. Her business is called Stylin' Baby. You can also find her on eBay. She does super work. I can't wait until I need some more!


So, I mentioned that the snow melted. My kids have tasted the freedom of the outdoors. Nothing can keep them inside. Sariah was out bright and early after her shower this morning, wet hair and all, in the 29 degree weather!


It didn't last too long though and she was inside posing for pictures.


This kid:


likes to carry one or two cars with him at all times. Despite my no toys in the kitchen rule, he's usually got one to accompany any meal. He loves to make tire tracks in his food. Running tires over raisins isn't so bad, but yesterday it was raspberry jam. Lovely!

I'm raising multi-taskers. On the way to school today, not only were we listening to "Anne of Windy Poplars" by L.M. Montgomery, but May was reading "Mandy" by Julie Edwards and Nathan was reading one of the Tintin adventures by Herge. The only problem with that is that when they don't quite catch what's happening on the tape, they ask clarifying questions. But, hey, I'm happy that my kids like to read that much!

Now, finally, the old adage, "Don't cry over spilled milk." I was definitely one to cry (or you might enter a different verb there) over spilled milk. I've grown up a lot now and just try to bite my tongue. I do a pretty good job of saying, "That's too bad. Get a towel and clean it up! :)" One of my children is a pretty constant milk spiller. This has been getting on my nerves. One morning a couple of weeks ago, Nathan (narrowing down the possibilities) told me that no less than 1/3 of a gallon was spread on the kitchen floor. I figured that he was exaggerating because that runs in the family. Imagine my surprise when there was 1/3 gallon on the floor with the spiller working frantically to clean it up. I think I may have found the reason. The evidence:


He (further narrowing) actually pours his milk on the floor of the kitchen. "No, honey, I said DRINK your milk, not KICK your milk!"

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that book! I'll have to see if I can find it. And thanks for the plug. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have to literally bit my tongue when they spill. At first, I didn't mind them spilling so much because I figured they were learning. However, it seems that they are older now and know that they should be sitting in their seats instead of standing next to it! (Which is the typical reason for the spill, someone bumped their arm!) So annoying! :)

    ReplyDelete