Have you ever wondered what level you write at? I really haven't. I'm still running off the fumes from the time my cousin's girlfriend tested my reading when I was in second grade. She told me that I read at a sixth grade plus reading level. I got a big head from that and spent my grades 2-9 thinking I was sooo smart. Then I went to school in Massachusetts. All I can say is "Whew!" BYU was actually easier than my high school!
However, Steph posted about this readability test for your blog. It's really easy. You just go to the website, plug in your blog address and click the button.
I really like to see my kids stretching their vocabulary which is usually done while they do their free reading. Since my kids do like to read my blog, when I remember, I add in words they might not be familiar with. Nathan, is especially good at stopping his reading to ask the meanings of words. If we aren't familiar enough with the word to give a concise definition, we tell him to go get the dictionary. He used to get really riled up about that, but recently, he just goes and gets it. It's so exciting for me to see that!
Click here for this readability test. Try it out, it's kind-of fun. Maybe we can all stretch our own vocabularies a little bit.
(Joseph, please leave a comment to let us all know how these tests are performed and what kind of reliability you think this test might have.) Joseph has worked extensively with a well-known reading researcher. He has above average knowledge of this type of test.
I'm sure it's sentence length as well as vocabulary.
ReplyDeleteI got high school level, but use other people's wise words since I don't have many of my own, and I add lots of commas so my sentences get really like, this making my grade level higher than yours, even though my thoughts aren't deep enough for high school, more like I just think about odd things too much that have to come out my fingers.
I should really pre-read before I hit publish. And I don't mean the sentence length. Sentences get really LONG. That's what I get for trying to be funny.
ReplyDelete